Progressive 440 HD shock comments

Gkiller

Supercharged
Recently purchase a set of "pre owned" 440 HD's and installed today on my 06 R3 Classic. After the install and short ride, I have the following comments/observations:

1. Install goes very easy. I used stock length (12.5") instead of going up or down.

2. Adjustment of pre-load is a pain in the ass. Progressive offers no real guides such as a starting point for one-up riding, two-up riding, with luggage, etc. I contacted Tech support and all they could say was "start out at the lightest setting and adjust from there....". While I understand that each rider will have their own preference, it really would not be that difficult to offer a pre-load guide.

3. Speaking of adjusting the shocks, it is nearly impossible once the shocks are installed....and is impossible if you have bags as they will have to be removed to make any adjustments. There is no spanner wrench or tool to adjust the pre-load once the shocks are installed...you do so by turning the top cap by hand. However, this is difficult because there is no room to grasp the cap and gain enough leverage to turn. So....I had to purchase a rubber strap wrench to adjust the shocks, and again...cannot make adjustments with the bags on the bike (have Corbin hard bags that must be removed each time shocks are adjusted).

4. I set my initial preload at 4 turns (1st adj line showing), which was 4 turns from lightest setting. Felt stiff and not much different than stock (I'm about 300 lbs and rarely ride 2-up). So, adjustment made "down" 1 full turn...then rain set in and cannot test shock ride further for the time being.

I have high expectations for the 440's, but rather disappointed at the lack of forethought by Progressive to make adjustment easier via use of a spanner wrench, tool, or more clear adjustment settings. Will just have to see how it goes....

Recently purchase a set of "pre owned" 440 HD's and installed today on my 06 R3 Classic. After the install and short ride, I have the following comments/observations:

1. Install goes very easy. I used stock length (12.5") instead of going up or down.

2. Adjustment of pre-load is a pain in the ass. Progressive offers no real guides such as a starting point for one-up riding, two-up riding, with luggage, etc. I contacted Tech support and all they could say was "start out at the lightest setting and adjust from there....". While I understand that each rider will have their own preference, it really would not be that difficult to offer a pre-load guide.

3. Speaking of adjusting the shocks, it is nearly impossible once the shocks are installed....and is impossible if you have bags as they will have to be removed to make any adjustments. There is no spanner wrench or tool to adjust the pre-load once the shocks are installed...you do so by turning the top cap by hand. However, this is difficult because there is no room to grasp the cap and gain enough leverage to turn. So....I had to purchase a rubber strap wrench to adjust the shocks, and again...cannot make adjustments with the bags on the bike (have Corbin hard bags that must be removed each time shocks are adjusted).

4. I set my initial preload at 4 turns (1st adj line showing), which was 4 turns from lightest setting. Felt stiff and not much different than stock (I'm about 300 lbs and rarely ride 2-up). So, adjustment made "down" 1 full turn...then rain set in and cannot test shock ride further for the time being.

I have high expectations for the 440's, but rather disappointed at the lack of forethought by Progressive to make adjustment easier via use of a spanner wrench, tool, or more clear adjustment settings. Will just have to see how it goes....

If your "pain in the ass" becomes unbearable and you go with the wilbergs, how much for the Progressives?:D:D

If your "pain in the ass" becomes unbearable and you go with the wilbergs, how much for the Progressives?:D:D

I'm not giving up on the Progressives just yet...only venting some frustrations with the set-up. My original intent was to go with Hagon Nitros, but came across the Progressives (which were my original choice).

I'm sure I'll get them dialed in...will just take some time.
If I do decide to jettison them, I'll PM you and make you a deal...and will include the rubber strap wrench as well:D

They are easier to turn if you can take the weight off the wheel and get the bike vertical
On mine,one side turns easy,the other side is a pain. I might try and lubricate them,maybe some detergent and water would do it.
Im happy with the ride after nearly 25000klms.
I put some small marks with a felt pen so I can count the rotations,which I normally have it set at about 8 turns from the lightest setting.
Eight turns is about right for me with a load of camping gear or my smallish GF.

I agree Progressives could have put more thought into adjustment so it would be easier on the side of the road if you want to change your riding style or load.

You'll stay with the Progressives once you get out on the highway, glad I have them.

Update

Had the opportunity for some "ride time" yesterday, as I participated in the Big Texas Toy Run held in Dallas/Fort Worth. Adjusted the 440's to 4 full turns and rode 2-up with my wife on the back. I do have to say that the ride was much smoother and the bigger bumps in the road not nearly as noticeable. As others have said, I will just have to continue to dial in the shocks to get them adjusted properly. We did bottom out a couple of times, but a couple of more turns of the cap should resolve that problem.

At this time, pleased with the 440 HD's.

Back