Primary TPS, high idle issue.

Jascen

.020 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
I just replace the primary throttle positioning sensor on my 2005 rocket. I adjusted the voltage according to the manual and let it do a 12-minute tune, and it seems to idle fine. The problem is, every time I ride it, as soon as I hit 3000 RPM, it's stays there.... this was the same problem I had before I replaced it. It was an intermittent problem but now it happens every time I ride it. I have hooked it up to my tuneecu and check the voltages several times and they seem to be correct. I've had nothing but trouble with this bike since the day I brought it home and I'm sick of messing with it. I think it's time to take it to the shop and get it running and then trade it for a riding mower.

I replaced my TPS, no problems but there are number of other checks you must do immediately after checking the voltage at you have done.
Search this forum you will find lots of valuable information to help you.

:coffee:Did you make the washer to go under it? If its down tight on the uneven mating surface it could be a bit bent ........ causing it to stick at that point.

Toss the primary tps and install a new one. Your is probably the old style. I cjanged my 06 Classic's in 07 and never had a problem with it again.

Dont mix it up with the secondary tps as a few have done lately. Unless you want more learning :)

Mine does that occasionally. She wants to stay reved at 2000+ rpm. I just let it idle and she calms down after a few seconds. Open road this is cool because I close the throttle and the bike does a slow decel like most cars do. Approaching a turn with a 2 to 3k idle is fast. Be ready to pull on that clutch lever.

Cleaning and lubing anything that moves in the throttle bodies might help. Borrow a TPS from a friend and try in in your bike to see if this fixes the problem.

[QUOTE=" Borrow a TPS from a friend and try in in your bike to see if this fixes the problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't think your going to find too many people willing to remove a functioning TPS for a test. Even with a new TPS I was still having the high idle problem. (Wanting to idle at 2000 rpm, or coming back to correct idle speed very slowly). I did some experimenting. I reinstalled the original TPS with the black internals (the so called bad one). My low voltage is now set to .66 and high to .77. Did that many years ago and it's worked fine since. I think the ECM gets confused. When mine would idle high, just hitting the kill switch and restarting would solve the problem temporarily. It helped mine, your results may vary :).

[QUOTE=" Borrow a TPS from a friend and try in in your bike to see if this fixes the problem.

I don't think your going to find too many people willing to remove a functioning TPS for a test. Even with a new TPS I was still having the high idle problem. (Wanting to idle at 2000 rpm, or coming back to correct idle speed very slowly). I did some experimenting. I reinstalled the original TPS with the black internals (the so called bad one). My low voltage is now set to .66 and high to .77. Did that many years ago and it's worked fine since. I think the ECM gets confused. When mine would idle high, just hitting the kill switch and restarting would solve the problem temporarily. It helped mine, your results may vary :).[/QUOTE]

I just get at this thread:sleep: ) Bike was running all right but there came in a first issue with throttle responding while shifting down.So I mean, while riding and between kicking down the gear pedal and clutching I hit the throttle a bit each time but now there was a short silence while hitting the throttle a bit. Stopping the bike,idling was singing around,up and down.,AFR round 9.8 while dynojet autotune fuel targettrim is round 14.0 at idling. However,AFR is sticking around 9.8.
No airleaking hoses, TB ok etc. did checking.
Also did checking the primary TPS voltage, 0.60 looks like ok and as for some time already I did remove the secondary blades and idle stepper there was no issue. till now.
Now I did set the voltage at 0.66 and the engine is running ok at idling.But AFR still hanging around 9.8 at idling, till 10/15% throttle during riding the bike. After 15 % the AFR suddenly increasing at 13/14,about fueltargettrim values.

Do you have an opinion about this issue ? Toss the TPS?

I don't think your going to find too many people willing to remove a functioning TPS for a test. Even with a new TPS I was still having the high idle problem. (Wanting to idle at 2000 rpm, or coming back to correct idle speed very slowly). I did some experimenting. I reinstalled the original TPS with the black internals (the so called bad one). My low voltage is now set to .66 and high to .77. Did that many years ago and it's worked fine since. I think the ECM gets confused. When mine would idle high, just hitting the kill switch and restarting would solve the problem temporarily. It helped mine, your results may vary :).

I just get at this thread:sleep: ) Bike was running all right but there came in a first issue with throttle responding while shifting down.So I mean, while riding and between kicking down the gear pedal and clutching I hit the throttle a bit each time but now there was a short silence while hitting the throttle a bit. Stopping the bike,idling was singing around,up and down.,AFR round 9.8 while dynojet autotune fuel targettrim is round 14.0 at idling. However,AFR is sticking around 9.8.
No airleaking hoses, TB ok etc. did checking.
Also did checking the primary TPS voltage, 0.60 looks like ok and as for some time already I did remove the secondary blades and idle stepper there was no issue. till now.
Now I did set the voltage at 0.66 and the engine is running ok at idling.But AFR still hanging around 9.8 at idling, till 10/15% throttle during riding the bike. After 15 % the AFR suddenly increasing at 13/14,about fueltargettrim values.

Do you have an opinion about this issue ? Toss the TPS?[/QUOTE]

Toss it and get a NEW one. The MAP and barometric pressure sensors can do this too. A bad connection can do this too. Mine started acting up after I installed the RamAir. It was a royal pain. Eventually it went away. Still get the high idle hiccups sometimes. Can't wait to have Scott reinstall the tune when we meet at MV.

Back