Power outlet up front

the Triumph GPS connector is simply a factor mold connector to go into the harnes under the tank with short (less than 12" pigtails) to have power you still need to buy an outlet.

I am confused... So the connector that I am getting from Triumph will plug in under the tank, and will power the GPS unit. Why do I need to buy an outlet? This is all new to me, so please have some patience.
Thanks,
D.

The Triumph GPS connector kit allows you to plug into the factory wiring harness under the tank without cutting any wires and gives you a fused circut. It does not have any kind of connector to plug your GPS into.

You will need to either add a power socket or splice into the power cord for your GPS. I would add a socket to bike. Many people have enlarged the existing pluged hole on left side under seat and added a cigarette light there, Triumph has a kit that puts a BMW/DIN socket there, hardest part is finding the right connector to plug into.

If you want the power socket up front you will need to figure out mount your self. The BMW/DIN/Powerlet socket is smaller and easier to fit but I'm sure you could make a cigarette lighter work to. There are good arguments for use of either type.

Here's a picture of the factor kit so you can see.

Attachments

• A9938065.jpg
    A9938065.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 248
I installed a Kuryakyn handlebar mount lighter/powerport. Kinda expensive ($56.99 from Dennis Kirk part # 20-2504) but it is a good looking, well made accessory. I took it off of my other Triumph when I traded it in and installed it on the Rocket. It comes with a fused harness that I ran under the tank and hooked directly to my battery. Works great for charging Ipods, phones & GPS units.

I had the Garmin motorcycle kit in the garage. I used Triumph's for the fused power supply and hooked the Garmin harness to it. It slides into the back of the 2730 which in turn is placed into the Garmin backing plate that I mounted on a RAM mount. When I remove the GPS, I just coil the wire around the bottom of the mount.

The Triumph GPS connector kit allows you to plug into the factory wiring harness under the tank without cutting any wires and gives you a fused circut. It does not have any kind of connector to plug your GPS into.

You will need to either add a power socket or splice into the power cord for your GPS. I would add a socket to bike. Many people have enlarged the existing pluged hole on left side under seat and added a cigarette light there, Triumph has a kit that puts a BMW/DIN socket there, hardest part is finding the right connector to plug into.

If you want the power socket up front you will need to figure out mount your self. The BMW/DIN/Powerlet socket is smaller and easier to fit but I'm sure you could make a cigarette lighter work to. There are good arguments for use of either type.

Here's a picture of the factor kit so you can see.

Thanks! O.K. So I bought the factory kit, but decided to wire the GPS mount directly to the battery (I bought it used, and it was already set up to do that.) And since I had the Factory GPS kit, I went ahead and connected it and ran it to my 12 volt Power Supply. I think that I am missing a fuse for the GPS connector, because it isn't working (not a big deal, I will figure it out.).
The GPS mount is working, but when I turn off my key... My clock and trips reset:confused:. All that I did was connect the GPS to the battery. Why would the clock and trips reset when the key is turned off?

So I got home today and disconnected the GPS Kit, and put the plug cover back on. I decided to wire it direct to the battery. Do you think it will drain the battery??

Then I disconnected everything but the bikes + & - and turned the key on... Same **** Thing! The clock and the trips are resetting every time I turn the key off. I don't know what to make of it.... Anyone :confused:

I am going to go down and order a D&D exhaust this week, when it comes in, I am going to have the shop install it and take a look at WTF is going on with that electrical.

So I got home today and disconnected the GPS Kit, and put the plug cover back on. I decided to wire it direct to the battery. Do you think it will drain the battery??

Then I disconnected everything but the bikes + & - and turned the key on... Same **** Thing! The clock and the trips are resetting every time I turn the key off. I don't know what to make of it.... Anyone :confused:

I am going to go down and order a D&D exhaust this week, when it comes in, I am going to have the shop install it and take a look at WTF is going on with that electrical.
It shouldn't drain the battery in normal use. My GPS mount is wired direct to battery (with fuse on hot side close to battery) and I have no problems. The longest it has been in mount without engine running is a couple of hours, but no problem starting up.

It sounds like you have a loose connection. Check the connection to the gauge cluster as well as wires to battery, make sure the wire is not loose in the connector.

Tricked or Stupid

Well.....I was interested in adding the Auxillary Power Plug on the plastic plate in front of the seat. I jumped online and ordered the part from Motorcycle Accessory Discount Superstore. Triumph Accessories catalog
The listed part has no picture or discription.
Auxiliary Power Socket from Triumph Accessories
Now, I just assumed that it was a standard lighter plug. But, it is a European design. I can't think of one thing that is sold in the USA that will plug into that socket.
So.....am I stupid for not digging in a little deeper to see what I was buying? Remember, the part had no picture or discription. So, I made an assumption! Actually, it never dawned on me to question the socket size.
Or, does this dealer really know that they are selling a useless part? They stock the part in the USA and sell the part in the USA.
I'll accept your critique. Am I stupid or was I tricked?
When I called them to return the part they said....oh no, it's electrical! Thanks Doug....
Carl

cktire,
No your not stupid by all means. You have just started posting to this forum so you would not know that this plug is of european in nature. If you hang out here long enough these things come up. You werent tricked either, although some of us think the description should have been more clear. You are not the first to discover this. Lesson learned I guess. Now I think there might be a conversion for this. If nobody replies that there is, start a new post asking if there is a conversion. Or try searching this forum. The answer might already be there.

Good luck:D

mutt

Back