Power outlet up front

Nateskate

.040 Over
I just finished installing a power outlet for my GPS. I used the powerlet rear glove box kit for the GL1800. I had it in the garage and noticed, once I lifted the R3 tank, that is was the perfect length to run from the battery to the front right frame cover. (In front of the tank on the right side) I drilled a hole in the cover and zip tied the wires. Now I can plug in any electronic accessory or heated clothing.

Just thought I would pass it on.:D

I just put one down where the built in plug is located using the stock wiring. Nicely hidden so my lighter doesn't get stolen. It might be nice to have one up front however. I may look into that. How much room is under that cover?

Here it is:

Attachments

• R3 001 (Small).jpg
    R3 001 (Small).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 394
The Triumph 12 volt outlet mounts on the left side in front of the seat and behind the bear claw on a small triangle plastic cover. The hole is pre-drilled with a insert. Remove the insert and plug the triumph outlet into the cable provided behind the cover. It took less than 5 minutes.

Triumph's GPS power cable is a connector on one end, which plugs into the wire harness under the tank and two heat shrink butt connectors on the other. I purchased a Garmin motorcycle mount, connected the wires to the Triumph harness and placed the GPS on a Ram mount. Once the tank is lifted, it too is a five minute job.

I now have power on the left side below the seat, on the front right frame cover and at the bars for GPS.

The Triumph 12 volt outlet mounts on the left side in front of the seat and behind the bear claw on a small triangle plastic cover. The hole is pre-drilled with a insert. Remove the insert and plug the triumph outlet into the cable provided behind the cover. It took less than 5 minutes.

Triumph's GPS power cable is a connector on one end, which plugs into the wire harness under the tank and two heat shrink butt connectors on the other. I purchased a Garmin motorcycle mount, connected the wires to the Triumph harness and placed the GPS on a Ram mount. Once the tank is lifted, it too is a five minute job.

I now have power on the left side below the seat, on the front right frame cover and at the bars for GPS.

Nateskate,
I am getting ready to mount my GPS, and was curious about the GPS connector Kit from Triumph. It sounds to me that I should buy the kit, and it just plugs in and I have power for the GPS... Is it really that simple?
Do I need to completely lift the tank, or can I just pull of the top where the guage cluster is mounted to the tank?
Thanks,
D.

the Triumph GPS connector is simply a factor mold connector to go into the harnes under the tank with short (less than 12" pigtails) to have power you still need to buy an outlet.

I use a Powerlet set up that provides a handlebar mount and (BMW type) outlet combined in one unit. It is wired straight to batter with a 20 amp fuse so can also use outlet for other items. The handlebar clamp and 8" cord is made by Powelet, the riser and removable adaptor are by Techmount and actual GPS mount is a RAM mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 237
Back