Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I borrowed a PC III when my tuner did his thing after my rebuild and it seemed to give him trouble. He advised next time to get a PC5. The tune is 85-90% spot on, but has a couple of bad spots.

I'm considering getting a PC 5 (if anyone has one for sale, btw, let me know). My question is how much more/less can I do with that PC5 than with Tune ECU alone?

Those of you with a PC5, do you leave it on the bike, or convert the tune over to TuneECU?

Will the PC5 allow tuning to specific gears, or is that just for some bikes, like Harleys?

Autotune- an extra device? Available for the Rocket 3? If I had that would I need to revisit the tuner, as I'm close with the current tune?

I know someone will chime in to say "find a tuner that uses TuneECU," but not in my area, so let's take that out of the equation, plus the guy I've found is good at what he does.

Thanks, in advance...

Please explain "live tuning." Thanks

So, I do plan on buying one. I'll load in the tune the guy did for me (now running a TuneECU conversion from that).

Then... what can I do with the PC5, other than bring it to the tuner, that I couldn't do in TuneECU? Trying to understand...

Also, what's up with AutoTune?

Last edited:
Please explain "live tuning." Thanks

So, I do plan on buying one. I'll load in the tune the guy did for me (now running a TuneECU conversion from that).

Then... what can I do with the PC5, other than bring it to the tuner, that I couldn't do in TuneECU? Trying to understand...

Also, what's up with AutoTune?
Just the little I know about the Autotune is you replace the stock narrowband 02 sensor with a wideband sensor that keeps the AF mixture at optimum level. I think if you change elevation alot it works well and is probably necessary. I am sure some one will be along with more details. Also I've had a PC3 on my 05 Rocket for years if you invest in Power commander 5 w/ Autotune I'd just roll with that and forget TuneECU.

The PC5 is the the way to go if tuning the bike yourself. Here's what I did and am extremely satisfied with the results: First, I am running the Sidewinder exhaust, Carpenter ram intake with three Uni-filters and all stock engine. Got an excellent tune from Neville Lush from a dyno he performed on a bike set up close to mine. Put his tune into my ECU and copied his fuel/air ratio into the PC5. Installed the Autotune and set it up to tune in all gears (for my ram intake). Followed Dynojet's tune procedures for tuning and got pretty good results but found the fueling still off an a few spots (I think due to reversion). Added the Dynojet off/on switch and set it up so I could manually turn the autotune on (when constant throttle or adding throttle) and off (when reducing throttle). Rode the bike while tuning a few dozen times and then sent trim to the map. Updated the map three times and when I got the trim numbers to 2-3% quit sending fuel trims to the map. I do keep the Autotune running after setting the +/- max fuel trims to 5% and monitor everything with the POD-300. This thing is now scary guick from idle to wide open (I think Neville optimized the timing along with the fuel).

My limited experience suggests it is not so much "most tuners know PC5" as it is most tuners don't understand tuning, were sold on a DyanoJet machine, and know their machine can be plugged into a PC5 (the tuner I used wasn't even aware that it would connect to a PC3, but shrugged his shoulders and said, 'I'll try it.'), and then just follow standard procedures with the machine and call it 'good' and most owners are none the wiser.

Tis oft repeated in literature that knowledge is accompanied with sorrow, and is the source of the expression, "You don't want to know."

Last edited:
i have one i used for a couple of months it is like brand new. 130 plus ship. going on vacation real soon.
the pc5 will let u use two maps if u install a switch.
on my 07 i either needed a tuner or the auto tune

Back