Powder coating?

Powder coating is tough and looks fantastic. But get it chipped and there's no way to patch it. We see a lot of very tatty powder coated wheels in the bike shop - and some that look sensational, so I'm not knocking it.

Spraying seems a good cost effective alternative. It can be redone cheaply and touch up is easy. I've sprayed a few bits on my bike and the grill for example has needed redoing once (after a year) and is ready for another go now. I use satin black Rustoleum and it holds really well even over chrome (no need to even rough it up). Total cost is less than $20. Reckon you could do the wheels for $35 and touch up any chips for virtually nothing.

I hand painted exhaust pipe on my curry burner with black Rustoleum high temp barbeque paint and it looks really good. Also very easy to touch up, if required. I will probably do the wheels with black paint sometime soon, or maybe early next year.

A brother of a mate of mine painted a VW with a brush when we were young with no money. Heated the paint in the tin in a pot of boiling water. We were amazed at how good it looked. $15 tin of gloss black Killrust and a $3 brush. Don't think I'll be going near the Rocket with a brush but on a car from 10feet away It looked ok.

In Aust about 15 or 20 years ago there was a bit of a thing went round were you painted your Harley Matt black with a spray can. Everything the whole bike except for the glass and the number plate. When it got dirty instead of washing it you just gave it a quick respray. I thought about it but decided thankfully in hind sight to give it a miss. Wouldn't have done much for my resale. I like hot rods Matt black all over and I still look at the Rocket now and then and try to picture it.

I might just paint mine as well after reading some of the posts.

When having them powder coated doesnt the bearings and seals need to come out? They have to bake the powder coating on so I would say think they would come out.

I might just paint mine as well after reading some of the posts.

When having them powder coated doesnt the bearings and seals need to come out? They have to bake the powder coating on so I would say think they would come out.

Bearings and seals do need to be replaced mate. I've probably done 80,000 klms since I had mine powder coated and I've not noticed any chips or dings in mine. Preparation is the trick with getting any coating to stay on. Unless you get them painted with a really good 2-pac type paint I doubt they would be as robust as powder coated.

Back