As I was able to change myself the battery on my IPhone 6S, I expect to keep it another 5 years 👍🏻
My tech-geek mind boggles at the thought of that. You'll no doubt be able to put all that money to far greater uses, but I could never live with the same phone for that long!

My tech-geek mind boggles at the thought of that. You'll no doubt be able to put all that money to far greater uses, but I could never live with the same phone for that long!
I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to the 12 mini. Waterproof was one of the things that sold me, since I'm planning a big tour this summer. I've always said that they all do the same thing- text, call, pictures, video... but I have to say that the photo quality, for one, is waaaay better.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to the 12 mini. Waterproof was one of the things that sold me, since I'm planning a big tour this summer. I've always said that they all do the same thing- text, call, pictures, video... but I have to say that the photo quality, for one, is waaaay better.
No matter manufacturer's marketing claims, I maintain there is no such thing as a "waterproof" phone. They are water resistant and tested to very specific pressures and environments. I would not expect any phone to survive mounted to the handlebars and driving through a rain storm.

When you :
- have your phone always on silent mode,
- never answer to any unknown call,
- do not use any anti-social network,
- do not put your phone on the table when you sit down for a meeting, a date, a dinner, ....
- do not care when you leave your phone at home,
you realize that showing the latest smartphone is not you priority anymore.
I preferred to get a new paint on my R3 rather than the latest smartphone with high memory capacity.... and I do not claim at all it is a greater use.

My old smartphone is able to call assistance itself if I had any accident when riding. But as there are more and more people trying to drive their car and texting at the same time, I am looking for an efficient high-tech airbag jacket instead of a new phone 👍🏼 🏍.

You've pretty well described me. Family are constantly frustrated with me that I do not respond for hours and sometimes days. Whereas some people seem to get an endorphin rush when their phone rings, it seriously gives me anxiety. I generally despise the dmmn things. When you look around and EVERYONE is absorbed by their phone all of the time, it's a major evolutionary change. What's "in there" is more interesting to them than the real world just past their thumbs. But, here we are talking about them. Yeah, GPS and Waze "police up ahead" warnings are useful on long trips, finding lodging, coffee, brewpubs. Just don't call me while I'm riding, cause I won't pick up.....

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I have a Takform Enduro Series mount on my 2021 Rocket GT , using the 4.5 inch extension and it works incredibly well. It sits just above the dash and behind the windscreen. It has a very secure grip and I'm not having any issues with vibration.

Update- 12/21/21. I j just wanted to warn everyone that although I do not see any vibrtations from this mount, my iPhone camera now has damaged image stabilization.

Takform M8 Riser Bolt Mount

4.5 inch arm

Rocket-Takform-1.jpg
Rocket-Takform-2.jpg
Rocket-Takform-3.jpg

Last edited:
I was checking the shock mount of my microphone today... need to make or find a shock mount for the phone in the motorcycle... not like I keep my phone in the handlebar all the time ... it's more for that rare case when I get lost and need to find my way back... with all the new phones (well mine is kind of old now or ancient by young people standards... a '17 s8 I just replaced the glass covers) the engine shaking could damage cameras, internal components and more.... no like this are harleys or anything like that in which you can expect your phone to go flying anytime, but still, get some damage.

love the way they solve the problem for the microphone mount... basically two rings, microphone in the center one, tight elastic rope joining the outer ring and you hold the outer ring to the tripod/arm, etc.

1638318799928.png

maybe something like this... image you phone secured to the top one and the bottom being the X ram mount or something like that... time to experiment...

1638318975179.png

Back