Peter from triumph!!!

I bought my bike used and the guy before me had a cruise lock on it to keep the idle up. When I unlocked the throttle the RPM's went down to about 400. When I would start it the RPM's went to over 2000. The idle would jump up to 2000 at any time and stay there till it felt like coming back down. Stopping the motor and restarting it, reving it up. Nothing worked. I did more **** 12 min. tunes. I installed tuneboy and did the 12 min. tune and it was fine for about three months. Then the RPM's would jump up to 2000 again. It got so bad that i switched the two TPS sensors and adjusted them the best I could while in Austin one weekend. The bike ran great. It was not right and I know the TPS were out of adjustment, but run better. I took the bike to the one dealer in Katy and they had it for over a week trying to get the bike to act up. When it did they ordered and installed the new TPS. Which color I don't know. They had to switch them back before installing the new on. The bike has never giving me another problem with the idle. Triumph covered the TPS and I paid $135.00 for labor. I don't know if Triumph paid for the whole deal or not. I can only go by what I was told. I did call Peter three times and left messages with him, but he never called me back.

I was in touch with Peter today about my intermitent high idle problem (bad TPS). He listened to my explanation of what the bike was doing, and said they may very well cover the repair under "goodwill", BUT I would have to take it to a dealer to diagnose and repair it, as in his words "It could be some other part malfunctioning and not the TPS". He also said they have the TPS in stock at the warehouse, but not at the dealer. All in all, this sounds reasonable. The painful part is the dealer is two hours away.

So I have contacted the new dealer in Christiansburg (never seen a Rocket before!) and ordered the TPS on my credit card. That way it would be available when I get there. They will call me when it comes in to schedule an appointment. Or I will pick it up or get it sent to me to install, like Taildragger did.

The dealer did ask me if any trouble lights had come on (they hadn't), but I worry about them poking around in my ECU that has had several downloads from Tune ECU. I know that the Triumph tool has a history function in it, because when Winchester worked on it last winter they told me twelve different tunes had been loaded previously (by Millerbuilt). The Tune ECU history function doesn't show this, so I guess it's set up differently. I guess I'll weigh out the hassle of getting the dealer to fix it, perhaps for free, versus just doing it myself and being out $140.

In my eyes, Peter did the best he could, but this really should be a recall item if there are that many malfunctioning!

Back