Penner tune on a 2023 GT

not really, i know of a 4200cc 6 cyl engine that "only" has 130hp (200ftlb). Why? because it ridiculously reliable and will last an easy 500K,
Exactly, there is no set rule for engine size to HP ratio. Its all in how its built and tuned
What Triumph has done, has been to keep the motor more reliable by keeping it mild, not to mention it needs to pass some pretty tight sound and emission testing.

Thats why im asking here, I dont want to destroy anything. I do not own a computer, but my phone is android.
I hate how lean bikes come from the factory, thats why I want the tune. I installed exhaust which doesnt help the lean condition. I dont need the extra power. I simply want it to run better. Im fully aware that im computer stupid, all I asked was how to do it to try and understand it.
I do have friends that can help if I have the run down on what to do.
I have always just bought power commanders or fuel pacs and pluged in the supplied map, never had to install a map this way.
As a few folk have said, it's not *too* difficult to do, if you just follow the steps. And if your phone is android, you have 1/3 of what you need, just buy TuneECU and an OBDLink LX or MX+ bluetooth OBD2 adapter and you're away. The difference between the two devices is mainly an extra cost for the MX+ for more manufacturer-specific capabilities (mostly cars). I bought an MX+ but I did get a decent discount at the time. The product page for the OBDLink products is OBDLink and you can also get them via Amazon. Note that other adapters work, and you'll find no end of opinions on TuneECU forums etc of people complaining about either the price of the OBDLink units or how their no frills Alibaba BT OBD2 doesn't work properly, and the support team just tell them that the supported adapters are the OBDLink ones. Save yourself a potential headache and just get one of the supported ones. You bought a Rocket 3, a $150 piece of hardware and a $25 piece of software are way less than the one carbon fender you are thinking of getting! :cool:

The link to the actual custom tunes on TuneECU is at Custom Tunes where the new Rockets are at the bottom of the page. They are separate for GT, R and TFC, and have a US/Canada and Rest-Of-World tune for each.

With Android you can download the zip file directly to your device and use the native "Files" app to unzip it to extract the .hex file you load into TuneECU. Some folk complain that TuneECU can't see the tune, but that's normally either they forgot to unzip it, or they didn't store it in a folder that TuneECU can see by default without having to browse for it.

Note that some folk complain about registration issues, but it is not instant (takes a day or so) and when you register it is important that you record both the email account the device uses and the one you use for PayPal. Whether they are the same or different, you should put them in both fields in the registration box. That way the author can tie to license to the device even if the PayPal email is different.

You need to pair your Android device to the OBDLink device, and it needs to be plugged into your bike (or a car) to get power to do that, and you use the OBDLink app to pair before you use TuneECU. Once all that is done, follow the instructions for loading the map and applying it. I walked through those application steps in detail on my YouTube page, and highlight a step you SHOULD NOT do, which is resetting the adaptions. The latest Triumph ECU's are adaptive, so you just load the tune and ride. See the video here: Rocket 3R Custom Tune

What is the cost of the license?
you need an android device tablet/phone whatever.

You need Tuneecu app from www.tuneecu.fr and purchase the license after you install it.

You need to wait a day or so after you purchase the app so the developer can activate your license.

You must make sure that the email you purchased the tuneecu license with is same as the email account on your android device.

you need OBD MX+ or LX bluetooth dongle from amazon or anywhere.

You need battery charger

you need your vin

In this case he wants to install it - but he does not have the slightest idea how to do it and he has no clue what he can destroy by doing it the wrong way.

My concern is that he wants something just because he wants it and this might end in an expensive repair.

But hey - why do I care...

🥳
When I was 13 years old and started showing an interest in girls I had no clue as to how they worked (some would say that I still dont). My not understanding them did not limit me at all from "diving right in" and fumbling around in the dark. Although I didn't know it, the stakes were pretty high back then and the potential for damage enormous. Somehow I got through it unscathed cept for a few bumps and bruises. Fifty years later I still sometimes fumble around in the dark, and still do it with purpose because it's what I want!!! The difference these days is that I can better afford to make mistakes.

Last edited:
Just a note. Powercommander will not address the throttle angles set by Triumph so you won't get full power whatever you do. The standard fuel table seems pretty close even when you remap the throttle to give 100%. A slip on exhaust can won't change your fuel curve much either as its the headers that are the biggest restriction. A free flowing slip on can screw up your low end fueling if the Lambda sensor is to close to the end of the exhaust as it will read leaner from the reversion caused.

Just a note. Powercommander will not address the throttle angles set by Triumph so you won't get full power whatever you do. The standard fuel table seems pretty close even when you remap the throttle to give 100%. A slip on exhaust can won't change your fuel curve much either as its the headers that are the biggest restriction. A free flowing slip on can screw up your low end fueling if the Lambda sensor is to close to the end of the exhaust as it will read leaner from the reversion caused.
Im happy to hear that Richard. I was concerned that because Triumph was limiting full throttle to under 70% that they would not bother to set up proper fueling beyond that. I now feel safe in just allowing TBW settings to reach full open without fear of creating a lean condition under heaviest loads. Haver you found a way to get the throttle blades to open to 100% in 5th and 6th gear yet?

Im happy to hear that Richard. I was concerned that because Triumph was limiting full throttle to under 70% that they would not bother to set up proper fueling beyond that. I now feel safe in just allowing TBW settings to reach full open without fear of creating a lean condition under heaviest loads. Haver you found a way to get the throttle blades to open to 100% in 5th and 6th gear yet?
I don't see the throttles closing in 5th and 6th but you have to remove the speed restriction that's what's closing them down.

Back