Paint Can Rattle Paranoia

after pulling the pin 1/4- 20 was the closest size bolt that would work as you need material in the hole for the Tap drill size. In this case .201/ it also was the closest to the original pin diameter. So any metric thread not exceding the .250 major diameter will work. The actual OEM pin diameter was 5.96 mm
So 0,201 is 5,1054mm - The drill size for M6*1 ISO is 5mm. 6mm being 0,236220472. Good to go.
5,96mm sounds like 6mm to me.

How long is the stud and the thread ,also are you using a copper washer on the 1/4" nut to stop it leaking oil?
I will check and come up with a length when I get home. It can very by the length of the spacer you add once the plunger has exceded the 16mm drop but the spacer is about .355" long if my memory serves me right. When I di mine I used a Dial caliper to measure how much I needed and yes you use the copper washer. The only thing that goes away is the pin and the little brass left hand thread retainer for assembly line installation . That little left hand thread is also what holds it together when they ship a new one to you. It maes for quick install you just tighten the center nut the rest of the way down and it releases the plunger. I will measure how much more i threaded the bolt when over whats given when you buy it.

Oh and on the 1/4 inch nut I used no washer and it does not leak.

Last edited:
My new 2013 Roadster (275 miles only) has a rattle, hot or cold what sounds like a spray can. If you grab the throttle and bring the idle up to 1500 rpm and hold it there, its very noticeable. Is this something I should be talking to the dealer about?

QUOTE="GGR3, post: 245223, member: 5104"]My new 2013 Roadster (275 miles only) has a rattle, hot or cold what sounds like a spray can. If you grab the throttle and bring the idle up to 1500 rpm and hold it there, its very noticeable. Is this something I should be talking to the dealer about?[/QUOTE]
first pull the clutch lever in slightly(not enough to start releasing the clutch) and see if it goes away. you might be hearing the lifter piece rattle. Since yours is so new I doubt you are hearing the noise refered to as the paint can rattle. This was from a bad lot of lower crank gears which was in 04-05 and has been changed. If you still hear the noise after trying what I stated. Shut the engine off and put the bike in gear, then rock it back and fourth a few times it could be you tensioner is about to take up adjustment on the chain. new chains will stretch a bit as they bed in to the chain guide and gears.

My new 2013 Roadster (275 miles only) has a rattle, hot or cold what sounds like a spray can. If you grab the throttle and bring the idle up to 1500 rpm and hold it there, its very noticeable. Is this something I should be talking to the dealer about?

I'd be taking it in and letting the Dealer have a listen ..and see what he has to say. If for no other reason than they'll have a record of you raising your concerns should something need doing later on.

Tom Cat has a point there but trying th ecouple things I said will not viod any waranty what so ever. On the upside you might also find out why and then you will not ave so much concern. Plus you can then ride it this weekend if th edealers are already closed. If it the tensioner and it adjust you will be good to go if its extra free play or maximum free ply then you can adjust it and ride.

Back