Paint Can Rattle fix cost ?

Appreciate that Warp. Just got off the phone with APE and they referred me to Carpenter who did not answer the phone.I have the bushing at the dealership, just hate to go that route but if it works, it works.

Appreciate that Warp. Just got off the phone with APE and they referred me to Carpenter who did not answer the phone.I have the bushing at the dealership, just hate to go that route but if it works, it works.

Yes I informed Carpenter who informed APE.

Your going to crap yourself when you get to talk to them.:D

Officially PO'd now. Bike goes in next Tuesday for installation of stupid little metal slug to add tension to cam chain tensioner spring at about $130 worth of freakin labor. I am now mad enough to write the NTSB and I shall.

Hey Glen, I'm going to post what they did to my 05 to fix the paint can rattle, have not read any of the other post so I might be repeating what someone else has already written. First attempt, replaced cam chain and bottom gear, lasted almost six months and noise started again. Second attempt, installed newly designed cam chain tensioner and put new guide blades from the new touring model in(redesigned 08 model). Never heard another peep from my cam chain again. The new cam chain blades in my opionion was the fix, put more tension on the cam chain and kept it from flopping around.

Do the check and if you need the plug make it and install it. The install is all but two minutes. The measurement from the face of the tensioner casting to the top of the plunger
under 16 mm no plug needed 16 mm and deeper reqires the plug. Before you pull center nut put in 3rd gear and rock motor forwad to remove all slack in chain on the opposite crank side of tensioner.

Below is some pictures first remember tensioner is in the bike but first pisture is the face you measure from I was talking about.

second is the face on the top of the pluger I was reffering to. I collasped the pluger so you can see what surface I was talking about. The pen points to it.

plug is .393" X .375" you can get a grade 5 10 mm bolt cut the head off and file flat then cut a section 1/16" longer and file off flat and to 3/8".
When you pull the center plug do not try to turn motor over until center bolt is installed and torque to proper specs.
Easy job keep track of copper washer on center nut and re-use.
before you put the center nut in push on plunger to see if it goes in any.

install center nut and torque to specifications, start mot and have fun

130.00 my arse you can do this.

I went down to the dealership yesterday. I made them walk over to the HD side and look at bikes that I might possibly want to trade to. Went outside and looked at the used but not bruised inventory, spent some time talking about the antiquities(V Twins), then I let them off the hook. I was just torturing them for not pounding sand up triumph's butt for not fixing this issue. I made it last for over 30 minutes. I have a great deal of patience when I want to be a pain in the A * * at someone elses expense. I enjoyed myself.

Took the bike in yesterday, they tore it down to lock the cams down so they wouldn't roll over when the spring was removed. They installed the part from Triumph ( the small piece that looks a lot like a steel pencil eraser ) I walked in and they found that all of the plug wires were splitting down next to the boot portion, they put in a set of wires too. Slipped the two mechanics, Noel and Grady a $20 for looking out for me on it, for lunch.

Called later, and Between Jordan Richardson, Kristi Holtsclaw, and Randy Hamme my bill is ZERO dollars because they felt that Triumph should have backed their product. These folks are good folks at Ray Price Triumph of Raleigh. I explained to all that I DO NOT ACCEPT CHARITY and that Triumph was being allowed to walk out on their problem. There fore, I will be preparing beef brisket, Baked beans, and "Pig Pickin' Cake for the entire Triumph and service dept. staff for next Friday. Then it is not charity, it is barter which is TAX FREE.

My personal and eternal thanks to the folks named above.

Back