Outfitting for Maiden Voyage - InterState Rocket

Welcome, how does it run with the open header? Flamethrower red.

Oh I see you got it muffled now. cool. Wow 700 liters could hold a body. or two...
I got a slash cut open straight piped fabbed for my return from opening spring key west run - too old to listen to loud roar of the torque angels for long distance. lol!

Cerakoted the header covers and exhaust covers to reduce the rainbow of Rocket metal shades. Comp Werkes exhaust returned from baffle screw repair.
IMG_6317.jpeg
Note to Cerakote curious. I did it myself with Cerakote air dry high heat. Good stuff.

I think Gatlinburg is on the Gauntlet and my path through GA this summer? Is it worth it?
I like Gatlinburg, and the riding in the area is great. The traffic is horrific, and the place is generally overrun with lousy drivers. Be careful and plan extra time to get through.

Appalachian Rocket Touring Editing continues development. Rotopax fitted to passenger backrest for the emergency gallon when I insist on running the tank completely down to almost nothing to reduce stops (I run out of gas a few times a year with this time tested approach!). Okay, it's totally ratchet, but the bike will be returned to OEM glory once it proves it has a few thousand continuous miles.

Gas.jpg
gas2.jpg

Appalachian Rocket Touring Editing continues development. Rotopax fitted to passenger backrest for the emergency gallon when I insist on running the tank completely down to almost nothing to reduce stops (I run out of gas a few times a year with this time tested approach!). Okay, it's totally ratchet, but the bike will be returned to OEM glory once it proves it has a few thousand continuous miles.

Gas.jpg
gas2.jpg
Looking good. I like the black side stand. How about a picture of the steering area, bars and triple trees from rider perspective. A lot going on. Highway pegs...

My break in routine on all new bikes is a big run after I shake down the initial bugs for a thousand or so. Rocket is scheduled for liftoff end of February (weather no factor if I make Charlotte, usually). Setting up for two weekers on non-touring bikes requires some hill-jack engineering. Check out the 700 liter SW Motech bag! Multilates that handsome brute, but travel is about utility. Madstad on the way, and working on the ghetto graphite cerakote on more stuff. Glad those elf ears aka heel guards faded in darkness! My Key West run is usually on a GS set for camping - this is going to hit different! I will strip off the vinyl wrap and tour crap when I return, and this baby is the strong man attraction at the local circus side shows!

Luggage.jpg
did you pack the exhaust into the motech bag :oops::D

Only thing I could recommend is that where the bag touches your back always stick sleeping bag so that if it is a backrest ( from what I see it will be ) Try to make it as comfortable as can be . I've the same thing with my R3T and yes I try to pack so it is comfortable . Enjoy your trip . share some pics of your travels if you wish !

Interesting thread, and I like the fact that you've adapted/made you're own set up.
It's a fairly challenging thing to do as a whole because everything needs to ideally be balanced, secure, and aerodynamic as possible while also as easy as possible to detach and remove etc...
One question..... Why didn't you mount the aux fuel tank lower on your backrest/frame? It seems a bit of a sway inducing upside down pendulum.
Wait a second....and hear comes another question.....well, actually it's more an observation for general consideration...I notice that your bag (to out-do all bags ever made in the universe) is a bit saggy on each side of the bike, which might not be anything to be concerned about, however, I also carry a big-ish bag across the rear in the same way, and to give it a more supported mounting, I sometimes put a thin board into the bottom of the bag which, helps support the shape and keeps the bag from coming into contact with the paintwork. Just thought I would mention that idea.

Last edited:
Cerakoted the header covers and exhaust covers to reduce the rainbow of Rocket metal shades. Comp Werkes exhaust returned from baffle screw repair.
IMG_6317.jpeg
Really like the setup and wish you well. If you get into trouble, you can just pull over and turn that huge bag into a sleeping bag and dream about Luke Skywalker surviving inside of his Tauntaun.

I didn’t see it in any of your other posts and must’ve missed it. But can you comment a little bit more about how you mounted those highway pegs?

Back