OK.. so a year ago I had a big one!!

Yeah, I hate bikes that make too much noise. There are laws against that (in many places) for a reason. Harley, sports bike or Rocket, doesn't matter to me, just not cool.

Looks great, though, can't argue there.

Long story cut short...
Got bike back together.. Rode about 50m.. Screeching sound from head.. Then it stopped.. 75mile later.. Bike gave up the ghost.. Got it home on a lorry.. Started tear down.. Cam ladder had a hairline crack. Starved exhaust cam of oil.. Game over..
Because crankcase had already been welded.. Decided on a replacement motor..

Duly arrived at fittedfitted.. All good for 500mile.. Then the frickin gear selector bolt in gearbox comes loose.. 100mile home in 5th with wife on the back... Town and motorway.. Not many bikes could manage that easily but the rocket did...
Arrived home at 6pm.. Read about issue for an hour.. Engine out and stripped by 2am!!
Engine now in pieces waiting for upgrade parts and alternator pulling tool.

Long story cut short...
Got bike back together.. Rode about 50m.. Screeching sound from head.. Then it stopped.. 75mile later.. Bike gave up the ghost.. Got it home on a lorry.. Started tear down.. Cam ladder had a hairline crack. Starved exhaust cam of oil.. Game over..
Because crankcase had already been welded.. Decided on a replacement motor..

Duly arrived at fittedfitted.. All good for 500mile.. Then the frickin gear selector bolt in gearbox comes loose.. 100mile home in 5th with wife on the back... Town and motorway.. Not many bikes could manage that easily but the rocket did...
Arrived home at 6pm.. Read about issue for an hour.. Engine out and stripped by 2am!!
Engine now in pieces waiting for upgrade parts and alternator pulling tool.
The alternator pulling tool is a 32mm X 1.5mm pitch hardened (probably grade 8 hardness) with a center point on it for the crankshaft. the pin spanner is to hold while tightening and loosening the bolt. When I used mine I just spun it in until it was tight and gave the head of the bolt a shock with a heavy hammer. it popped of the taper much like releasing a Morse machine taper. the crank has a Woodruff key so watch for it. It should stay in the crank.

Was it worth it... Oh yes... as soon as I twist the throttle again.. it will all be worth it !!

Rocket is the only bike I want to ride now... my 1100 dragstar is positively pedestrian compared to it..

So.. Here is the beast now.. Still a few little jobs left to do.. Will do a full photo shoot once I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 20151116_163947.jpg
    20151116_163947.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 4
The alternator pulling tool is a 32mm X 1.5mm pitch hardened (probably grade 8 hardness) with a center point on it for the crankshaft.
The metric system uses 8.8 and 12.9 grades approximate to a grade 5 and grade 8 respectively. You can see this marked on cap screws.

Im curious about the exhaust... May I ask where you had it done? Are you willing to share your DYNO sheet via PM or Post it.

S/F

B

Warp.. I've ordered the correct tool.. Will be here next week...

Had the exhaust made locally, although they are not happy with it yet and it needs a little more work on the front.. But they will exit in the same way... Not had it on a dyno.. Pretty iI. Possible here in spain.. So on Hansen's recommendation I'm fitting a power commander V with auto tune and a map from Hans0.. It had already been mapped when I fitted the pods.. Limiters removed and it pulls like a Ba#t#rd.. If I ever get it on a dyno would be more than happy to post..
But for me it's not about speed anymore.. The big "off" has made me realise I'm not indestructible..
I would say though.. Before when it had all the chrome and custom paint people used to look.. Now evertime I stop I get people taking pictures....

Back