I use 50 weight oil as directect by triumph in my bike. Right now I'm running 15W50 Motul 300V. Since I can't always find it on the shelf I also use Red Line 20W50 . I do not worry that the winter weight consistancy is 20 weight verses the 15 weight as I do not normally ride in the winter unless I trailer down south.

I run heavy oil in the Harley (mobil) but why would you run 20/50 in a water cooled engine? I have run Mobil 10/40t in the Rocket since day one. When i replaced the cams my cam ladder showed no wear marks at all. Kind of tells me the stuff did its job and got to the areas were it needed to be in time.
I agree with Sonny on the air cooled vs. liquid cooled engine. The issue isn't the 2nd number but the first. 10 weight oil has a range of temp. thar is lower than the 20 weight. Not much, but it's different. The temperature I'm talking about is like, 15 or 20 degrees F. Since I've never road when it's that crazy cold, it doesn't matter...

I use 50 weight oil as directect by triumph in my bike. Right now I'm running 15W50 Motul 300V. Since I can't always find it on the shelf I also use Red Line 20W50 . I do not worry that the winter weight consistancy is 20 weight verses the 15 weight as I do not normally ride in the winter unless I trailer down south.
I thought the 50W was the O.E.M. Speck! Thanks Warp for the clarification. I almost called out the higher viscosity speck, but wasn't sure.

Don’t you love oil threads?:)

Oil threads are delicious....
giphy.gif

I thought the 50W was the O.E.M. Speck! Thanks Warp for the clarification. I almost called out the higher viscosity speck, but wasn't sure.
Yes 50 weight is OEM older Rockets the number before the W references the winter weight viscosity cold start up affect. Hence 15Winter50 . Anyway since these babies run hot when warmed up or at least thats the general opinion on rocket sites I opt for the heavier summer weight 50. I do change my oil at about 4000 try for 5000 but as soon as I feel it in the clutch and transmission (change in lubricity) I change it. I can get 5000 if I play nice or its slabbing it. Good oil is cheaper the good engine parts !!!!!

I will also add that in talking with the cam grinders that did my cams they mentioned two oils and so I consider they have seen a lot of work and I'll just listen to them and see !!

I used to use the Mobil1 15/50 when Triumph was in cahoots with Mobil. That oil was produced in Europe. When Triumph switched to Castrol I switched to the Castrol 4T 10/50. Could not find the Mobil1 15/50 anymore after that. No engine or transmission problems. Change annually or every at 5,000 miles, which ever comes first.

If you are only ticking off 5K or less yearly, you gotta get out for some long rides, Bill! :eek: :whitstling:
Just a chain yank as I do know your work schedule keeps you tied up. :inlove

Yes 50 weight is OEM older Rockets the number before the W references the winter weight viscosity cold start up affect. Hence 15Winter50 . Anyway since these babies run hot when warmed up or at least thats the general opinion on rocket sites I opt for the heavier summer weight 50. I do change my oil at about 4000 try for 5000 but as soon as I feel it in the clutch and transmission (change in lubricity) I change it. I can get 5000 if I play nice or its slabbing it. Good oil is cheaper the good engine parts !!!!!

I will also add that in talking with the cam grinders that did my cams they mentioned two oils and so I consider they have seen a lot of work and I'll just listen to them and see !!

Lubricity must overcome stiction! :rolleyes: :roll: :p

Back