Oil change frequency???

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I’m not an avid long distance rider so I don’t put lots of miles on a bike each season. In fact, my ’78 Yamaha (of which I am the original owner) is right at the 30K mark on the odometer. For that bike, that’s about 1K per season. I did put a little over 2K on the Rocket the first season (last year, after I picked it up in early May). My Rocket had the 500 mile check-up which I’m certain included an oil change to introduce the synthetic (****ed expensive) stuff. Now with all of these factors in mind, I should not have to change oil until "WHEN"???

I would change oil in the old Yamaha every year (something about the oil sitting in the crankcase for 5 months during winter seemed to justify it), changing the oil filter every other year. It takes 4.5 qts of oil, and the years I would not change the filter, I would at least crack the filter casing loose to drain the oil out as much as possible. Not too expensive of a service as I’m running Quaker State multi-viscosity in it.

My point is this, how many seasons will it take me to get the miles on the Rocket to justify an oil change? I am "NOT" going to wait until the "miles" total up to the service period because that would "age" the oil too long. Let’s say I don’t get lots of miles on for the next few seasons, could some of you "engine wise" captains suggest a service interval base on a "number of seasons in the crankcase" point of view? I’m thinking, even though the service will be about $100 to $120 for oil & filter (doing it myself), every other year would be the most I should let it go, right? Any opinions?

On the other side of the "riding" coin, I’ve owned the same old bike for 29 years and it kinda became so "nonchalant" that going for a ride was nice, but not "exciting". Now, all that has change & the old Yamaha is crying oriental tears. I’m seriously thinking of selling her. She’s becoming somewhat "nostalgic" but I don’t really desire to do all it takes to continue to keep her in the family. Where I’m going with this is just this: The Rocket is a real pleasure to ride, as well as to show around. I am planning a ride to Memphis (or close to Memphis) next month, considering joining the group riding to Nashville in July, taking a short jaunt to Des Moines sometime and being a part of Raymond’s group to Sturgis. I’m certain the Rocket will need serviced by the end of this riding season, if not before. Lots of miles planned for this season, unlike many years past.

Shared knowledge about oil change intervals would be much invited. I wish the Rocket to last as many years as my Yamaha.

See ya.

I change mine every 5k. I use the Mobil 4t motorcycle specific oil. 8 dollars and some change a quart. I've had mine a year and a half and have over 17k miles on her, so she doesn't sit too long.

Judging by the Itenerary you just listed, it sounds like you will easily put 5k a year on yours.

Hey wilber-t, I'm guessing this season will be unique. I'm not certain but I don't think the following seasons will be as "thrilling" as the one coming at me.

Where do you find the Mobil 4T for $8 per quart? I went to the local bike shop (which I thought would be the only place to get it for the Rocket) and it was $45 per gallon. I have heard lately that Walmart carries something along these lines now (Tomo's comment?). Do you install a new filter each change as well? Where are they available for the best price?

Thanks for the input.

My local Wal-mart carries the stuff in their motorcycle section. Sometimes they only have 2 or 3 quarts on the shelf. I have also found it at Autozone. I do change the filter every time. I get mine from a local parts store [Carquest] where I do a lot of business. They don't carry Mobil 4t.

I too change mine at 5K. I use the fancy stuff (Mobil 4T) which I get at my local Triumph dealer. I know Walmart has cheaper prices but I hate that store with a passion. My local Wallyworld's clientèle leaves something to be desired.

Rusty

The Wal-Mart by me has the 4T for 8$. It also has A V-twin oil by Mobile. I change every 5K and yes you should always change the filter at the same time you change the oil or you are just contaminating the new oil.
You wont find the 4T just any were because it is a specialized oil.

Thanks for the info everyone. I really was wanting to know this: If it takes 4 riding season's to put 5K on the bike, would all of you "NOT" change the oil & filter until 5K miles were logged? I'm still guessing not. Too long for the oil to set in the engine.

No one has stated the best price on filters yet either. Where acquired?

I also go about 5k on an oil change although the factory Triumph manual says 10k. I have been using Amsoil 20-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. My dealer sells it to me a @$10/qt. I tried using an aftermarket oil filter once, but the chrome cover didn't fit so I put back on a new Triumph filter. I hear that Harley's don't have to worry about oil change mileage, they just keep adding!!:roll:

Rsuty

I would change my oil every spring before you first ride if didn't go 5K. Like my 4-wheeler some years I put a lot of miles some years it only see's the lease 2 or 3 times but I always change the fluids come spring.

Back