not again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The problem is this , go on any forum of any brand or any thing for that matter and you will hear bad stories . The most common place to go when you have issues these days is the internet , the day of social media lol

The day my bike start popping out of 2nd gear, if it does, is the day it gets traded in on a new R3.

My bike has popped out of first 3 times, all 3 times can be traced to me shifting into 1st like a 50lb girl though.

For what it's worth:
I had the update kit installed on my 08 standard because it would pop out of second gear during hard acceleration.
(When the bike was new I waited till after the 500 mile break in to stomp on it and the pop out happened the very first time I opened her up)

The tech that did the work told me the fix was to reduce the number of engagement dogs for 2nd gear by half.
After the install the 2nd gear pop out immediately stopped happening.

However, I got something new: drive line slack at slow speed in 1st through 3rd; the bike jerks when rolling on/off throttle.
The tech said the slack had nothing to do with the update kit, but it wasn't there before ...
FWIW.
Had exactly the same experience with my 08 standard. Then at around 1500kms the head gasket blew. All work was done under warranty without any hassle. Having survived my rather reckless younger days thrashing the nuts off various Jap bikes, my hoon days are well and truly behind me so my Rocket has had an easy life. After turning into the kind of Biker I used to take the piss out of she has mostly been a Sunday cruiser ridden solo and always short shifted. I never get tired of all the low down grunt that made me buy a RIII in the first place. Now with under 21,000kms on the clock she is parked up with a box full of neutrals instead of gears. I suspect a broken detent spring but lack of spare $ for a dealer repair and me been a bit one handed while in recovery mode from recent surgery to my left arm which is getting in the way of me dropping the sump myself to see what I might find in the screens for at least a few more weeks. I don't know yet if I am looking at minor or a major repair. I love my RIII but feeling very disallushioned with Triumphs quality control at the moment. The fact that I am reading of owners having exactly the same issues with new Roadsters is inexcusable for a bike that has been in production for over a decade.

Back