not again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DapperDan

.040 Over
Ride
05 Rocket 3 , 03 HD Road King Classic and if im a good boy The Long haired General
I have been here before , my last rocket had the 2nd gear issue, resolved under warranty. Out for a long ride yesterday, 4 times it jumped out of 2nd gear when giving it some beans. Also noticed an increase in vibration in the bars, really buzzy and hand numbing,,,I am in two minds, sell or repair, great bike but what a peice of ****,,,,,,,,,,,only slightly pissed off.in the UK is a dealer that will remove and repeir modify with newer trumpet parts and refit for 2400 pounds. Its an expensive solution for piece of mind,, i am tempted to **** it off and buy a Honda f6b:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Symptoms will tell you whether it's the easy fix or more expensive one. Mine's gotta go in to get the new 2d gear engagement dogs :( Hopefully yours is just the detent spring. Sounds like you've been through it before, but the Transmission Failure thread has a lot of different guys experiencing different symptoms and solutions.

its the dogs, excessive vibes being the indicator for that,,,i shall nurse it for a while and make a decision, i want a bike i can jump on and ride without worrying about mechanical issues and "teeth sucking mechanics saying Gonna costya mate" :cautious::cautious::cautious:
, kawasaki gtr1400 looks good :whitstling:

Seems like this problem happens to newer bikes as well as the older models. Is it because the 1-2 shift puts the most pressure on second gear, whereas the 2-3 shift 3-4 and 4-5 shifts are less harsh on the transmission due to it already having lots of rolling speed. I think I read in the Suzuki m109 forum that they have some of that same issue.

The earlier silver engine models seem to 'suffer' this issue .. can't remember 2nd gear problem on any of the later black engine Rockets .. sure I'm not the only one that don't appreciate you referring to Rockets in the terms you have. I've done over 125,000klms on mine without any major issues .. maybe a Honda or a Kawasaki is the way to go ... if you feel the way you do about Triumphs.

Seems like this problem happens to newer bikes as well as the older models. Is it because the 1-2 shift puts the most pressure on second gear, whereas the 2-3 shift 3-4 and 4-5 shifts are less harsh on the transmission due to it already having lots of rolling speed. I think I read in the Suzuki m109 forum that they have some of that same issue.
You are reading correct I had a Suzuki C109RT and the gearbox was a shocker on the 1st to 2nd shift you could install a starshift conversion kit but the box was clunky from new, I changed oil to Motul Synthetic which helped a bit, then sold it and went back to Triumph where I belong

I dunno, TC. If I had two consecutive R3s with the same problem on both, more than likely I'd feel very similar to Dan. Triumph, corporately, has been the worst motorcycle company I've ever had to deal with, as well.

I've owned 18 bikes and this one is by far the biggest attention and money whore for maintenance, upkeep and repairs. She's also been the most fun, hands down!

The earlier silver engine models seem to 'suffer' this issue .. can't remember 2nd gear problem on any of the later black engine Rockets .. sure I'm not the only one that don't appreciate you referring to Rockets in the terms you have. I've done over 125,000klms on mine without any major issues .. maybe a Honda or a Kawasaki is the way to go ... if you feel the way you do about Triumphs.

Look at "common issues", two posts down from his is a 2012 with the same complaint. Wonder if it is mostly with people that hit 2nd gear at high rpm quite often. Some of the past posts about it some of the people said "I really hammer it" etc
Then, again 2 more posts down from that one is a 2011 with the same complaint under common issues.

Back