not again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I OFTEN FIND MYSELF SHIFTING WITH NO CLUTCH @ 3 TO 3800 RPM KNOW I SHOULDNT WITH ALL THE TRANNY PROBLEMS IVE HEARD JUST HABIT CARRYING OVER FROM MY 72 BONNE HAVENT HAD ANY TROUBLE(as TC would say knock on wood)ON MY 07 YET I ONLY UP SHIFT LIKE THIS NEVER DOWN SHIFT THAT WAY IF I BUY USED I WANT TO KNOW ANY PROBLEMS THAT COULD/WOULD EXIST (I DONT PUNT VERY WELL)

A lot of the problems on the M109R forum where with the way most rode their bikes , trying to make a cruiser into a drag bike with out any changes to equipment . Of course its going to fail more than a sunday driver to church .

Look..The man is frustrated and has a right to vent it. Most of us are lucky and some are not. This has been a dead reliable ride for me even after having the Carpenter kit done but I certainly feel for those who have recurrent problems. I don't think taking his comments about Triumph personally helps anyone and discourages people from stating the truth.
Dapper should not have to "nurse" the beast..I certainly have not!
My only hope is that this good luck continues because as Triumph dealers continue to disappear, I could be in deep doo-doo if I have significant problems.
Just MHO

A lot of the problems on the M109R forum where with the way most rode their bikes , trying to make a cruiser into a drag bike with out any changes to equipment . Of course its going to fail more than a sunday driver to church .

Your completely correct about the Suzi 109 I bought a brand new C109RT and loved the feel of the big cruiser except for the handling in tight turns a great Freeway cruiser big power tons of torque and that really big twin lope along feeling ,what I never came to turns with was the Clutch/gearbox ,no matter how you put it into first it clunked like a vintage tractor and the 1st to 2nd gear change was horrible to say the least ,I sold it with 8000ks on the clock because of the feeling somethind was going to break,a great bike with major flaws in the transmission that every one who owns one and is honest will agree , the Rockets gear change is a lot better ,but not as smooth as the Jap fours but no other bike is ,my rocket has that chirpy whine in the intake and some engine noise and a tuning fork like buzz at 110 Kph but gets sweet at 120 k unfortunately over our States legal limit ,
but I have got to love these unique facets of the bike.

Don't be a hater DapperDan, You have to pay to play. I ride hard, and luckily all I broke was the detent spring, yes I quietly cried, but then smiles abound after the repair. Its easy to justify credit card abuse for your loved one. But do you really love it?

i have worked on transmissions most of my life. when i have a transmission apart on the bench i can tell just how they drive. i can tell if it is abuse, failure to change fluid, if they run over a rock, water in trans.
sometimes when i am telling a couple what took out their trans the wife takes one step back and points to her husband while he remains totally silent.
i have not seen any opinion what is happening on the 2nd gear problem. if we knew what was taking them out then we could avoid that situation.
i think that a lot of trans were replaced because of the broken detent spring and therefore making it seem like more trans failures than there really was there is also the problem of the shift shafts bending.
i have 07 classic with silver eng. 24000 miles and no problems. could it be that mine holds up because i do not down shift till i am almost at a stop, i can shift @ 6000 rpms with out missing a gear, i do not ram my shift lever so it does not bend, i change my oil every 5000 miles, i have heard of the problems and usually wait till i am in second gear to roll on the throttle?
until we have good mechanics that will diagnose the problems we will continue in the same old way.
one of my customers once told me "you know why you are so good is because you over whelm them with knowledge" i find it hard to believe that some one cannot figure out what is going on with this trans problem.
jmho herman

Back