New Rocket 3 owner, need some pointers for mods

That there, what you think makes you happy, has no bearing in actual fact or whether your inexpensive replacement bulbs are really as good or better than a designed LED light.
You should consider identifying your personal "decrees" as just your own opinion, because they really are not based in science.
BTW, when did you start speaking for Scott?

I also can produce test results proving what I state, not merely my opinion offered as fact.
WE SCOTT and I ride together and we are both using the LED replacements and got to compare them to the JWs on another ROCKET when we ride together nothing better than a real world riding comparison so you can ask SCOTT how he likes them

That there, what you think makes you happy, has no bearing in actual fact or whether your inexpensive replacement bulbs are really as good or better than a designed LED light.
You should consider identifying your personal "decrees" as just your own opinion, because they really are not based in science.
BTW, when did you start speaking for Scott?

I also can produce test results proving what I state, not merely my opinion offered as fact.
I have some cree led lights in my Roadster, and am very happy with the results. Very bright and wide pattern, and only $30 on EBay. If it's not too big, bring your lux meter to MV. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison of the cree leds and the adaptive lights. Because of the temperature out here most of the year, I ride a lot at night. We don't have a big problem with deer down here, but in the spring, gators can be dangerous and hard to spot from a distance without good lights. And we all know the stock lights are about as effective as the stock horn meep meep :D

I have some cree led lights in my Roadster, and am very happy with the results. Very bright and wide pattern, and only $30 on EBay. If it's not too big, bring your lux meter to MV. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison of the cree leds and the adaptive lights. Because of the temperature out here most of the year, I ride a lot at night. We don't have a big problem with deer down here, but in the spring, gators can be dangerous and hard to spot from a distance without good lights. And we all know the stock lights are about as effective as the stock horn meep meep :D
YES they are very bright and very wide for total coverage and no blind spots even in the turns the stock reflectors work great and all for less than $40

There are quite a few mods that benefit a Rocket. I started my information search at the RAA last year in Stearns. I asked a lot of questions and looked at a lot of bikes. I had sort of made up my mind before going and learned enough to change my mind. We are getting together in Maggie Valley this summer, come join us so actually see these things in person.

First of all we know the bike is underpowered, hence all the guys looking to make enough power to get the bike to go down the road adequately.:rolleyes:;) I was all set to go on a Carpenter kit but changed my mind favoring a build for torque and not so focused on top end HP. I’m finishing that project now.

I did perform a stage one first with K&N filters and a tune. Very nice low cost bump but not enough power to exceed the speed limit fast enough.:p Have you even ridden a stock bike yet? What other rides are you accustomed to?

I did upgrade front and rear suspension and it really handles superbly for such a heavy beast. Costs a plenty.:whitstling:

I almost never ride at night so lights are low priority at this time.

Enjoy the search for your best bike but be ready to open the piggy bank. Do I hear money pit?:D:D:D

YES they are very bright and very wide for total coverage and no blind spots even in the turns the stock reflectors work great and all for less than $40
Can you give a little more info on what Cree lights your actually using? They have so many. I priced the adaptive lights and find the cost to benefit TO ME didn't make sense. Then there all the other not adaptive light. But the Cree are very inexpensive in comparison to all.

There are quite a few mods that benefit a Rocket. I started my information search at the RAA last year in Stearns. I asked a lot of questions and looked at a lot of bikes. I had sort of made up my mind before going and learned enough to change my mind. We are getting together in Maggie Valley this summer, come join us so actually see these things in person.

First of all we know the bike is underpowered, hence all the guys looking to make enough power to get the bike to go down the road adequately.:rolleyes:;) I was all set to go on a Carpenter kit but changed my mind favoring a build for torque and not so focused on top end HP. I’m finishing that project now.

I did perform a stage one first with K&N filters and a tune. Very nice low cost bump but not enough power to exceed the speed limit fast enough.:p Have you even ridden a stock bike yet? What other rides are you accustomed to?

I did upgrade front and rear suspension and it really handles superbly for such a heavy beast. Costs a plenty.:whitstling:

I almost never ride at night so lights are low priority at this time.

Enjoy the search for your best bike but be ready to open the piggy bank. Do I hear money pit?:D:D:D

If you are speaking to me, the answer is yes.
I rode my roadster stock for 1500 miles and two oil changes. :D
Also I'll be riding my second R3R stock, home to Tacoma, WA from WI in April.

On the headlights thing - I do wish Steve would post his Adaptive vs non-Adaptive LED videos. The man makes a living from road safety and visibility.

Seriously If after watching you cannot see the benefit on unlit curves then frankly you probably need to see a doctor about your Nyctalopia.

The question is not is it bright or not. It is where does the light go? If you want to see the road you need a well controlled beam. If you want to tell the whole world where you are (including spacecraft) then you need a DRL. The Triumph Headlight excels as the latter. The EARLY JWS did not scatter at all which made it a fairly poor DRL- but the dip beam on the adaptive is a bright and very attention grabbing white blast. But without blinding other traffic. That took some R&D effort.

Well under 30% of the light from a Triumph OEM headlight gets onto the road. And most 5&3/4" H4 reflectors will not fare much better. Why? - because 5&3/4" was never mean to run with an H4 bulb. Hella have published that a basic old fashioned 35W sealed beam 5&3/4" puts more light on the road than a 55W H4. The H4 was designed for 7" and up.

I have said this before. Stand near your bike with the lights OFF. If you can see the bulb that means light can escape at that angle.

Adding a bright LED "bulb" does nothing to direct the light where it should be.

If you do not ride at night - then you really can run anything.

DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON TECH. Especially not from eBay vendors.
CREE make a huge variety of LEDs - as do EPISTAR, PHILLIPS, OSRAM and others. Each one has a purpose and a price.
A sh1t load of ebay bulbs --- well you can guess.

A ROT: 20W LED usually equates to 55W Halogen - ish, approx.

Oh and you should aim for 5000Kelvin White. This SUNLIGHT COLOUR. 4000K is a bit more yellowish - 6000K is more blueish.

Back