New R3R owner in SE Michigan

Yeah, that also sounds feasible. The power available on these things is fantastic. When I first got mine I would find myself near 60 in 3rd. As I got used to her I started to find what was comfortable to me. The Rocket has so much available power and is so comfortable anywhere in the powerband that it allows everyone to ride as they like.
Well, is there an official recommendation? Thanks for the input by the way.

Haha, nope! Not that I've really seen. I've seen a thread or two pop up about this topic and people tend to just do what feels comfortable to them. The only thing that comes mind as a 'recommended' RPM to cruise at would probably be the best for MPG as outlined here:

If your bike is stock, then maximum torque is at 2800 RPM, or 70MPH (real speed - it will show about 75 on the speedometer). Theoretically that will be the engine's most economical touring speed. However, wind resistance etc means that about 55-65 will probably give you the best economy. I usually cruise at around 2800-3200 rpm. Having said all that, you have about 90% or your torque from 1000 RPM to the red line - it is a pretty flat curve. :) Therefore the revs that you are at for cornering is not as critical as it would be on a sport bike with a narrow power band.

There will always be a little bit of petrol left in an empty tank. Why would you want to get that low anyway? It is a heavy bike to push. Also, the fuel helps keep the fuel pump cool.

But I've also seen posts from people who like to keep the RPMs a bit higher.

Last edited:
Haha, nope! Not that I've really seen. I've seen a thread or two pop up about this topic and people tend to just do what feels comfortable to them. The only thing that comes mind as a 'recommended' RPM to cruise at would probably be the best for MPG as outlined here:

But I've also seen posts from people who like to keep the RPMs a bit higher.
Thanks! Now that leads me to another question that must be common knowledge, the speedometer runs about 5mph faster than actual? ( I suspected that on my ride yesterday)

Thanks! Now that leads me to another question that must be common knowledge, the speedometer runs about 5mph faster than actual? ( I suspected that on my ride yesterday)

When you replace you rear tire with Bridgestone Excedra Max most of that will be corrected.
Mine is spot on with GPS - the odo is slightly fast, about 2 miles per 100. You can't have both.

Back