New Progressive 444 noises

alpental

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I just installed some brand new Progressive 444s, and as I was installing them, they were making clanking noises (see video). Is this normal?

Triumph - comfort shocks.jpg Triumph - progressive shocks.jpg

Mine did on my old 05 Rocket although you and I may have purchased the only 4 that slipped through quality control. Mine wasn't that loud if I recall but yes they did make a noise similar to that.
Good to know. I sent the same video to Progressive Suspension to see what they have to say.

Just went out for a two-up test ride and man these shocks feel great, even with the preload cranked up to max stiffness. So much better than the stock shocks. All the jarring is gone. Can't wait to give it a proper test in the mountains.

But an equal improvement is to turn in! I went for the 13" shocks (0.5" longer than stock) and what a difference it makes to turn in, especially at low speeds. Combining these longer shocks with the slightly taller Exedra Max makes a world of difference. @1olbull has been telling me this for years... so glad I finally did it. Can't wait to get the forks done in a couple weeks too.

Last edited:
I just installed some brand new Progressive 444s, and as I was installing them, they were making clanking noises (see video). Is this normal?
Triumph - comfort shocks.jpg Triumph - progressive shocks.jpg

Abe,
That stirrs up the paint before spraying . . . :roll:
Never heard that on my sets, but I don't remember shaking them either.
Interested to know what this is . . .o_O

Before you go out and buy any shocks for the rocket get the shock spanner out and your owners book read and re adjust your shocks, watch the way the shock reacts compressing the spring and releasing the spring. set Both shocks to the lightest setting, spring expanded, as far as possible then set and test,set and test. Watch carefully which way compresses and releases spring for each shock until you know you know. trust me. See how this goes first, if no joy then spend the money.

I recently put the 444's on my Roadster and I never shook them like that, but just by handling them I noticed a clicking/ clacking sound like that, so I think it's normal.

I just installed Progressive 430's on my old Yamaha XS1100 yesterday. That washer on the 430's is the same as the 440's you installed. That keeeps the bottom of the shock housing from contacting the rubber grommet set at the base of the slide should you bottom the shock out. And yes that's normal since they will all do it. Most people just don't shake the shocks from the box to hear it.

Back