New High Idle fix and maybe more

Gothlander

321 GONE
High idle can be caused by metal shavings from the starter motor and ring gear sticking to the crank angle sensor magnet and causing advance of the spark. This will cause high idle and other problems that was thought to be the TPS. It needs to be cleaned every 3 months and is easy to do, just remove the sensor wipe it clean and replace. Its located at the back underside of the engine near the starter motor.

It's easy to find and only one bolt. A little oil may come out when you remove it, maybe start bike first to make sure the oil is in the oil tank. Dont remove it with the bike going though. I just went out and had a look where it is located, if you look through the hole in the frame where the rivco centre stand fits you will see it right in line with the hole on the other side half way across. It's dark colored plastic with two wires coming out the side and comes down from the bottom of the motor.

SO here I go with the dreaded high idle. I read as many posts as I could and get as many different causes as posts I read. So can anyone shed light on my issue with the following information:

1. New stepper motor installed and throttle bodies balanced.
2. Crank angle sensor under motor cleaned twice, to be sure.

The bike is a 2009 Classic with TORs, Triumph TOR tune, PCV, GIPRO and under tank K&N. All has been fine in life until about 2 months ago when the high idle started (@ 1200 - 1500 rpms). The bike has 17,000 miles on it. Took the bike to the shop and they diagnosed a bad stepper (which I doubted) and they replaced it a month ago. It has continued the high idle problem ever since. Last night was the final straw as it revved at 2000 in neutral in my driveway and would not drop.

More facts:

1. The high idle will drop to correct idle in @ 20 seconds if I sit in neutral with the clutch disengaged. Will become high again as soon as start riding from the stop.
2. The high idle will stay if I sit at a light in gear with the clutch pulled in.
3. If I shut the bike down while high idling, it will start at correct idle.

Any ideas guys? Thank you for any help. As I mentioned, I've read a ton of posts but I'm hoping someone can shed light with my specific description here.

Thanks guys. That was my next plan of attack but wanted to hear your inputs as well.

Once I replace the TPS, I'll have a new stepper, cleaned crank sensor and new TPS. If the problem persists, is there anything else that could be causing this or can I be pretty certain the new TPS will remedy the problem?

Back