New High Idle fix and maybe more

there is always something else you should take it one step at a time

Thanks guys. That was my next plan of attack but wanted to hear your inputs as well.

Once I replace the TPS, I'll have a new stepper, cleaned crank sensor and new TPS. If the problem persists, is there anything else that could be causing this or can I be pretty certain the new TPS will remedy the problem?

You probably do not have a bad stepper motor. If you install a new one right or leave the old one on add the new TPS and do a full ISCV RESET. This means you should check the gap on the cam roller also to make sure it is not way out. The gap is listed in the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back after a 2700km road trip... struck heavy rain on one leg of the trip and notice the bike idle about 2000rpm similar description to those above. I have a 2008 classic...power commander 5.. ram air kit Raask pipes.. The issue remained unchanged for about three days until I arrived home. I have disconnected the battery reconnected it + 12 tune... I've just come home from a 30 km run and the problem seems to have gone... should I be encouraged by this??

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my ever dimming memory I seem to recall @HansO posting something about a connector at the back of the engine (crank angle sensor maybe?) That is affected by excessive moisture since Triumph didn't use any dialectric gease on it. May be worth a shot?

Whats odd to me, for whatever the reason the high idle always seems to hang right around 2000 rpms. I had this problem off and on for the first several years I had my bike. Tried new TPS, did the resets, cleaned and lubed everything. One of the things I noticed, on mine at least, if you watch the vitals (tuneboy/tuneecu) while its running, the timing seems to start advancing about 2000 rpms. Thinking back to ole' days of cars with distributors, if you advanced the timing at idle the engine speeded up. On the Rocket its almost like when the the engine gets above 2000 rpms the timing advances and the ECU can't figure out how to slow it back down. On my bike I've found through trial and error, if I set my TPS voltages .05 volts higher than the book calls for, I don't have the problem. It also drops back to idle almost instantly instead of taking its time, which I find really annoying. May just be a peculiarity with my bike, but anyone having the high idle problem, its something else to try.

Last edited:
Whats odd to me, for whatever the reason the high idle always seems to hang right around 2000 rpms. I had this problem off and on for the first several years I had my bike. Tried new TPS, did the resets, cleaned and lubed everything. One of the things I noticed, on mine at least, if you watch the vitals (tuneboy/tuneecu) while its running, the timing seems to start advancing about 2000 rpms. Thinking back to ole' days of cars with distributors, if you advanced the timing at idle the engine speeded up. On the Rocket its almost like when the the engine gets above 2000 rpms the timing advances and the ECU can't figure out how to slow it back down. On my bike I've found through trial and error, if I set my TPS voltages .5 volts higher than the book calls for, I don't have the problem. It also drops back to idle almost instantly instead of taking its time, which I find really annoying. May just be a peculiarity with my bike, but anyone having the high idle problem, its something else to try.

Hmmm, mine's 05 also. I get the (almost) 2000 r's idle every once in a while. Have done the tps/iscv reset. Gonna try that! Good post. I think?

Last edited:
Whats odd to me, for whatever the reason the high idle always seems to hang right around 2000 rpms. I had this problem off and on for the first several years I had my bike. Tried new TPS, did the resets, cleaned and lubed everything. One of the things I noticed, on mine at least, if you watch the vitals (tuneboy/tuneecu) while its running, the timing seems to start advancing about 2000 rpms. Thinking back to ole' days of cars with distributors, if you advanced the timing at idle the engine speeded up. On the Rocket its almost like when the the engine gets above 2000 rpms the timing advances and the ECU can't figure out how to slow it back down. On my bike I've found through trial and error, if I set my TPS voltages .5 volts higher than the book calls for, I don't have the problem. It also drops back to idle almost instantly instead of taking its time, which I find really annoying. May just be a peculiarity with my bike, but anyone having the high idle problem, its something else to try.

Great post... is adjusting the voltage to the Tps easy....

just trying to understand. r u saying to take the .6 volts and add .5 volts making it 1.1 volts as the primary tps?
what voltage for the stepper motor?

Back