My summer project (warning H-D content)

I like it, Nice! I have 2 sportsters, (04, 06, both 1200) one I can't molest, the other has been chopped, but after seeing your pics, I want some knobbies! What year is that you have? Both mine have a belt drive. To get into the rough stuff, will probably need a chain conversion. Belts do not like rocks or even pebbles. ;)

I like it, Nice! I have 2 sportsters, (04, 06, both 1200) one I can't molest, the other has been chopped, but after seeing your pics, I want some knobbies! What year is that you have? Both mine have a belt drive. To get into the rough stuff, will probably need a chain conversion. Belts do not like rocks or even pebbles. ;)

It's a '90. Upside is factory chain drive, downside is 4 speed trans.

What a great transformation of a versatile machine. Used Sportsters are inexpensive and reliable bikes that lend themselves to modification. I saw the below one in Hawaii when I rented a house there in Kailua for a month in 2016. He had TKC 80 tires on it and you've gone in the same direction.

Adventure Sporty A (1632 x 1224).jpg
Adventure Sporty B (1632 x 1224).jpg

A few questions. Where did you get the exhaust, did you put a new wheel on the front or just a different/fatter tire and what tire did you use? It is obviously and adventure tire but I don't recognize the tread. I note that you even put adventure handlebars on it. What size are they on a Sporty, 1 inch or 7/8in?

And having your beautiful little daughter in on the project is just too cool. She has OWNERSHIP.

I met a Sportster rider in Dawson City in the northern Yukon in 2015. He was riding with about 25 other Brits with the Nick Saunders motorcycle touring group from Europe. They shipped their bikes from UK, off loaded in Florida, and were on their way to Fairbanks Alaska and then up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle. This was the only Sportster and the rider was one tough guy. Just think of the miles he rode on this and with street tires. Dawson City Sporty.jpg

Oh and this is what I was riding.

Attachments

• 257 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    257 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    303 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Used Sportsters are inexpensive .
Not here they're not. So much so that when my mate D. was still alive in the UK we had a business plan. He worked for a BIG HD dealer - they were taking in at least one 899 a week in part exchange for something bigger. They were so swamped they were actually scrapping some. Plan was to upgrade them all to 1200 and ship to Spain - would still have made a good 1000 each on every sale. 2 months later - he passed away.

I made the exhaust from the factory pipes and a couple u-bends ordered from Amazon. In one of the pictures you can see it tack welded before i took it off and tig welded all the joints.

Front wheel is stock 19, just painted them, and the tire is the stock size. 19" dirt tires are pretty common. I can't remember the brand, but if i was doing it again I'd get something a bit less aggressive.

Sportster uses 1" bars like other Harleys. Those are Burly Brand.

I cant imagine riding a sporty from FL to AK. I've never been on a newer rubber mount, but on mine 1/2 hour and it's time for a break. Granted I'm 6'4", so that's part of it.

I was planning on this being a beater bike that i wouldn't worry about if i tore it up, but Im getting attached to it.

Back