My Rocket in Flames on the Launchpad!!

Absolutely, I'm a pretty vain MF'er! I'll be going above and beyond to look as good as I did before. 😄

Hopefully with no noticeable scars.
Glad to hear you you are on the mend, as you've said could have been a lot worse, fix yourself first mate the rest will fall into place. Remember chicks digs scars and the stories behind them and you my friend have a ripper yarn.

This is very likely an issue with the tank. Before I knew about the problem it happened to me where the pump never shut off and I probably dumped a half gallon of fuel before I realized what was happening and clicked the pump off. Even armed with this knowledge, its very difficult to determine how full the tank is and even watching it like a hawk I overfueled it again. It's not every gas station, for me I've had it happen twice at one specific station (but different pumps). Not sure if there are different models of nozzles but there is definitely a combination where the fuel shutoff consistently fails to engage.

Might wanna give up on the auto fill feature, 4 gallons goes fast and bikes go up in flames real fast. You say twice already lets not go for 3, just thinking out loud here:thumbsup:

But it's not just autofil. The OP was manually filling the tank. It is difficult to determine how much fuel is in the tank until the pump shuts off or fuel begins overflowing. Its not like there's a viewport where you can actually see the fuel level.

This is very likely an issue with the tank. Before I knew about the problem it happened to me where the pump never shut off and I probably dumped a half gallon of fuel before I realized what was happening and clicked the pump off. Even armed with this knowledge, its very difficult to determine how full the tank is and even watching it like a hawk I overfueled it again. It's not every gas station, for me I've had it happen twice at one specific station (but different pumps). Not sure if there are different models of nozzles but there is definitely a combination where the fuel shutoff consistently fails to engage.
Fill slower.

I have noticed that pumping gas at unfamiliar stations can be less than acceptable. I try to go to stations with older pumps. Older pumps tend to favor slower delivery. The nozzles are not as stiff, thus dispense gas at a trickle if you pump slower.
Just last week, I was on a ride and needed gas. I pulled into a station and started to fill. A car pulled up and backfired. I turned my head, and let off of the fill lever. Still I spilled probably a cup of gas on my tank. Luckily I was able to wipe it up. I did panic thinking of the gas that ran over my tank sides. Not a condition I want to repeat.

I certainly have noticed a difference between models of pump handles, when it comes to "throttle down" delivery.

The terrible ones are near digital with a sharp transition between off and full (or nearly so) on.

The better ones have a roughly linear analog delivery proportional to the distance of trigger pull.

With the terrible ones, I can only fill to approximately 85%, as the fuel begins to splash outside the fill opening.

I emailed Triumph directly about this problem as I believe it's a major design flaw that has already badly injured at least 1 person and could potentially kill another. Here is their reply, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. If you don't like their answer I'd ask that you also send them an email about this design flaw.

A member of our staff has responded to your request
Subject: ([EXTERNAL] safety hazard).
Our response:
Hello Mike,
Per our UK factory service team -
We have had no other customer complaints of this issue. I would suggest that you refer to the advice and information located in your owners handbook.
Thank you for choosing Triumph!
Please send your response or question to tma.aftersales@triumphmotorcycles.com or call us at 888.284.6288, Case # 00893025

Back