My Rocket in Flames on the Launchpad!!

How many similar cases have you seen or heard of? I'm just curious.

@Phenix3939 how's the rehab coming along?

Thanks for asking. According to my doctors, I'm healing ahead of pace for it being only 2 weeks. I've been doing a high protein diet which I think has helped. My face is almost back to normal and my left arm is without bandages. I've got light wraps on the right which took most of the damage from holding the pump. Pain level is minimal compared to the itching. Haha

In about a month or so I should be able to get on my other bike and start to put this experience behind me.

Just what I've read here. And just curious, how would I possibly know of other cases other than here? It's not like I'm the central repository of Triumph customer complaints.

My question was adressed to anyone reading this topic.
What I meant was, in our wide geographically spread and quite longevive member's base, how many bikes of any make have you seen or heard of to burn like a torch at a gas station?

My question was adressed to anyone reading this topic.
What I meant was, in our wide geographically spread and quite longevive member's base, how many bikes of any make have you seen or heard of to burn like a torch at a gas station?

You are focusing on the wrong question. That is the worst-case scenario of what is likely a design flaw. Recalls don't happen because a motorcycle burns to the ground in a gas station accident (but they certainly draw attention to the issue), they happen because there is a design flaw which could potentially lead to burning down while refueling. Look at the Ford Pinto, terribly designed where they could rupture the fuel tank and burst into flame in the event of a rear-end collision. Ford had to recall 1.5 million vehicles due to this design defect. Now think what small % of Ford Pinto drivers would be rear ended compared to what % of Rocket 3 owners fill their bikes with fuel. This is a problem that could effect 100% of all 2020 R3 owners, it needs to be addressed.

You are focusing on the wrong question. That is the worst-case scenario of what is likely a design flaw. Recalls don't happen because a motorcycle burns to the ground in a gas station accident (but they certainly draw attention to the issue), they happen because there is a design flaw which could potentially lead to burning down while refueling. Look at the Ford Pinto, terribly designed where they could rupture the fuel tank and burst into flame in the event of a rear-end collision. Ford had to recall 1.5 million vehicles due to this design defect. Now think what small % of Ford Pinto drivers would be rear
Now think what small % of Ford Pinto drivers would be rear ended compared to what % of Rocket 3 owners fill their bikes with fuel.
To make it more analogous, you would need to say " and abundantely overfill their tanks when filling."

To make it more analogous, you would need to say " and abundantely overfill their tanks when filling."

It certainly appears that this isn't happening to all owners. On my bike there is definitely 1 gas station where the auto shutoff feature does not work on my bike but does work on my car. There is probably some specific type of nozzle that doesn't play nicely with our tank design which is why this isn't happening to everyone with this bike.

Man, so sorry that happened to you.
I have had this problem on my TFC as well. Filling up, not on auto-fill and the gas has swirled up and gushed out of the filler cap all over the tank. The pump didn't switch off. Freaked me out. Had the same issue on my CB1000R too, so there's one specific pump I avoid now because its shut off is so bad.

Back