My Moto Hobo life

I was able to source the correct wheel bearings locally in Tucson.
They are Koyo & manufactured in Europe.

Herman installed them and I reassembled everything on Monday.

I picked up new brake pads and will install them next week.

I packed up on Tuesday and made it 200 miles into New Mexico before dark and stayed at a really nice but inexpensive OYO hotel.

On Thursday I blasted 80MPH for 300 miles to Alpine Texas.

There is a cold front coming so I need to keep moving south to stay below it...

Crappy video heading into Alpine Texas on Rt67.

134EB8C1-585B-44E3-B13A-753BA076EA81.jpeg
325F5252-4893-465C-B0FB-90C6686747C3.jpeg
60915730-F336-4DE7-BF2D-DBD3EBBE8119.jpeg
BDCFF048-FB70-443D-B24A-C1B11A30D32E.jpeg
C9575510-31A5-4A88-BB6E-27D046EAC281.jpeg
EEB8DDB3-EA5B-4708-93D7-D896A6B561C3.jpeg
A6B50BE6-E65B-4F1D-8E4F-2C602114E194.jpeg
Awesome pics. Your living my dream. But what does "oyo" stand for?. I know owner is prob one . and..what kinda gas mileage you gettin with that rig?
If you say 40mpg im going to pull my hair out cause i cant break 30 unfettered.

Awesome pics. Your living my dream. But what does "oyo" stand for?. I know owner is prob one . and..what kinda gas mileage you gettin with that rig?

In this lower ellivation i think it is about 45 mpg lol

Doh! I live near sea level and get high 20s. I can live with that but knowing some get great mileage means im missing out.

Naturaly i was just kidding
While working on jims bike (he has a lot of stuff disconnected) the plugs and with the pipes off the valves looked like the perfect burn ratio.

Ok Jim we need a mileage check.

OYO Hotel Deming​

1612482069113.png
1612482083937.png
1612482096508.png

A G-**** Park Ranger sent me down a rutted Jeep trail to a dry camp site yesterday after I told her 3 times I had a big Motorcycle towing a pop up camper.

“You’re going to love it, it’s right on the River.”

11660168-64F2-4C02-8FE4-B30C5DE25C78.jpeg
Most likely the ranger saw your Yankee license tag...

Been in Texas 40+ years now, in some corners am still referred to as the "Yankee"

Well, this Yank got his crank yanked today.

A Park Ranger drove by when I was drinking coffee and said I wasn’t in a designated campsite.

I told him why and that I was going to the station to get a different site.

I went in after lunch in the mountains and said I couldn’t get to the spot and that I had tipped over.

They said there were no other available spots, I couldn’t stay where I was, and they wouldn’t give me a refund for the two unused nights. WHAT?????

Then they tried to say there was a “4x4 only” sign and tried to make it my fault for going down that road!!
A. There wasn’t a sign .
B. They assigned me the site knowing I was on a bike towing a trailer, I didn’t just randomly pick it.

I will write park management and report this.

Negatory.

Some observations:

Touring is not cheap. I am averaging $100/day.

There is a reason free camping is free.

Tents are not great in the wind and there is a lot of wind in the southwest.

Generators SUKC!!! Loud Generators should be shot!

Now that I have switched to a large propane tank I can stay warm all night , spend less time than using the 2lb’rs and it is more budget friendly refilling them.

Stuff breaks. China crap breaks more.

Trailer weight distribution is crucial and hard to get right. Side-to-side and front-to-rear.

Raman Noodles make any meal more filling for 20 cents. Buy it by the case.

You meet a lot of the interesting people on the road.

Exactly how many Bonnevilles were built? It seems like I’ve met more people who owned one “back in the day” than were actually imported into America.

Stupidest questions:

Do you pull that camper with that bike?

NY, did you ride all the way here?
They say there are no stupid questions. There are.
I rode my bonneville (yes i DID have a bonneville 2007) to work in the fog. A co-worker asked "you rode it in the fog?" He was probably meaning it seemed dangerous, but i said it was no different than driving a car in the fog. Its not like its an airplane.

Back