My bike smells like a bbq

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
I'm running a nels tune meant for a bike with the ram air filter and tors. I currently have triple K&Ns and an open megaphone type pipe. Lately i've noticed a burning smell when I come to a stop and the stock heat shields are making much more of a tingy sound when I shut the bike off. The bike feels like it is running great especially right off of idle and isn't as loud as the Hanso tune I had in it before. After running about 100 miles I was happy to see I've gone from 25 to 35mpg. I don't hear any detonation other than slight decel pop which is also less than before. Need I be concerned that I may be causing my motor damage by running too lean? I've also kept the O2 sensor on after the 12 minute tune hoping that it would aid in fuel economy since most of the time I'm just cruising barely on the throttle. Any help is appreciated.

O2 staying on will let the ECU adjust the AFR in the regions it's allowed to. It's going to try and lean the bike out into the mid-high 14s, that's what the stock O2 does.

The 12 minute tune is going to apply a fuel trim to the map, so, say you were a little rich when first loading the tune. You now do the 12 minute tune, the ECU takes out the amount of fuel to get to the target AFR it wants, mid 14s, and now youre 5% leaner as a fuel trim, so the whole maps leaner, essentially undoing the whole point of loading a custom map.

Narrow band O2 sensor belong in 2 places, emissions controlled passenger cars and the trash, just my opinion.

The stock o2 sensor is not a safety net, or a precaution, it's an emissions control device, full stop! Once you've a tune that runs right there is never a need to use it again, just disable and ride on. The ECU is still making all the temperature and elevation corrections it needs to.

Last edited:
O2 staying on will let the ECU adjust the AFR in the regions it's allowed to. It's going to try and lean the bike out into the mid-high 14s, that's what the stock O2 does.

The 12 minute tune is going to apply a fuel trim to the map, so, say you were a little rich when first loading the tune. You now do the 12 minute tune, the ECU takes out the amount of fuel to get to the target AFR it wants, mid 14s, and now youre 5% leaner as a fuel trim, so the whole maps leaner, essentially undoing the whole point of loading a custom map.

Narrow band O2 sensor belong in 2 places, emissions controlled passenger cars and the trash, just my opinion.

The stock o2 sensor is not a safety net, or a precaution, it's an emissions control device, full stop! Once you've a tune that runs right there is never a need to use it again, just disable and ride on. The ECU is still making all the temperature and elevation corrections it needs to.
Thank you. I will reload the tune, forget about the 12 minute tune after and shut down the O2 sensor.

Some people will remove the O2 sensor and plug the hole with a bung to spare the sensor. I didn't do that because I don't care if the sensor ever works again or not, I have it turned off in Tune ECU (the tune you are running).

bob

I just ran it again and set the rpm limit back down to 6500 which the tune is said to be tuned to. A little more bass sound to it and no more crazy tinging from the heat shields at shut down. The over hot bbq smell is gone too. Thanks Clav! If you are responsible for Nels making the tune Bob, thank you. I'd like to get up there to Nels and have him tune specifically to my set up but until then I feel I'm in good company. Thanks again.

In the mean time I’d recommend just turn the stupid sensor off, it’s not doing anything good being enabled.

NORM....just do it!!
$_6.jpg

Back