My beautiful Rocket Touring is gone.

Discussion in 'BearClaw Corner' started by Navigator, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Navigator

Navigator Top Fuel

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2009 Rocket Touring
    A good friend and I made a deal yesterday and he now has my Touring. As I once noted, it's the most beautiful machine I've ever owned and I loved riding it, while I could.

I don't want to go into my personal health situation but I simply could no longer manage it. I did a few short local rides within the last month or so, with difficulty, but last Saturday decided to do our annual Kidney Run event. I fueled at a local gas station, with two different people coming up and admiring the Rocket, and then almost dropped it while leaving the station and hitting a dip. I rode to the first stop, about 60 miles, with three other good friends and when I got off the Rocket, decided I couldn't ride it anymore. I was fatigued and sore. It hurt to even throw a leg over the massive beast and getting it up off the kickstand was equally painful. I rode my friend's Indian Scout home and he, an individual of substantial stature, rode the Rocket back. Cam's a long time, very experienced rider who has ridden throughout Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and in China. He has always loved the Rocket so we worked out a deal with he now having the Rocket and I his beautiful Indian Scout. The Scout is light, fast, handles brilliantly and easy to manage.

I sent a note to my good friend Gord @ Elcanaco, telling him of the situation and my decision. He and I have ridden all over the western US, BC and the Yukon Territory. He asked if it meant that my long distance touring days had come to an end and I had to tell him that I truly don't know. It depends on what the future has in store for me.

I have truly enjoyed this forum, the banter, the fun and the technical assistance I've received. I've met some great folks. As a two time Rocket owner, I'll stick around a bit and help with advice whenever I believe it useful.

I will miss my beautiful Rocket 3 Touring and know that my friend Cam is in for a wild time.

2. stavros

stavros .060 Over

United Kingdom
    Ride:
    2004 rocket 3, 1200 harley sportster. 1200 bandit
    wow,,,,,,sorry to hear that. glad you are still able to ride,, and i wish you all the best in the future :thumbsup:

Starmanut and TURBO200R4 like this.
  3. barbagris

barbagris Mad Scientist

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2009 R3-Standard - 1979 Guzzi V1000G5
    New kidneys every year! - That's POSH. ;)

The minute it stop's being fun - it isn't. And when it isn't then it's time to change. Of course when you get a Pink Scooter you can expect a little ridicule.

4. Michael_G

Michael_G Road Therapy...

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    "Fiona" my '14 R3T & "Delilah" my '16 V-Rod Muscle
    ... Always do what's right for the body... Of course that includes staying engaged here... ;):ninja:
    -MIG

5. stollydriver

stollydriver Live life to the full

United Kingdom
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2005 r3 and 2014 roadster
    As said - once the fun goes and the bike becomes a chore - no matter how much you love that bike - it's time to change. All the best, just don't leave the forum..

Starmanut, Joesmoe and TURBO200R4 like this.
  6. Sparky59

Sparky59 The Guy With The Most Toys Wins!

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2008 R3 Touring
    Mike, sorry to hear that the Rocket was too top heavy to easily manage, as it has been said, when it becomes work, find another angle. A close friend of mine,who in his later years has been steadily fighting emfazema...is now down to reliving his youth, his wife sent me a picture of him driving away from the house on his '57 Schwinn Wizzer, (he had it new as a kid). He's now in his later 70's and gets out on a bike as much as possible....He is finnishing a restoration of a 3 wheel messersmit for when he has to carry with his oxygen bottle...I hope I have his drive when I grow up! Take care..Norm

7. BillB

BillB Turbocharged

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2013 R3T, 1960 Franken-Pan
    @Navigator Hate to hear that Mike.

Had some health issues last fall that had me wondering if that time had come for me.

Managed to fight through it but it's likely not many years before a lighter bike is going to be in my future.

Still coming to MV I hope?

BigNorm, Starmanut and EasTexRIII like this.
  8. TURBO200R4

TURBO200R4 stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    07 rocket III classic
    thumbs up on your new ride:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    and hopefully a long one:)

9. Fingers

Fingers Living Legend

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2015 R3T
    Sorry to hear ,but what is important is you can still ride.

Starmanut and Old N' Grumpy like this.
  10. Jvheli

Jvheli Turbocharged

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2016 Rocket Roadster
    I admire your good sense to make the switch man!

And hell if your riding and happy and your friends happy? I call that a very big win!

Congrats on the Indian! Sweet bikes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice