Money no object: Best Front and Rear Suspension and Tires for 2008 Rocket

RoadRocket

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket
Howdy! I want to improve the handling on my 2008 Rocket.
What are the best Tires?
Best Front and Rear Suspension?

Money no object!

Well now that's a challenge if ever I have heard one.

To start with you want custom Carbon Fiber wheels in either 18 or 17" sizes to maximise tire choice and get a massive unsprung weight reduction $4000 should do it + another $700 or so in tires. I have read of at least 4 who have gone that route, 2 have since passed on due to m/cycle crashes using the massive performance capability that or similar machines unleashed have unleashed on the street.

Then go Wilbers or Ohlins piggy back suspension $2000+ and swap out the front fork internals for customised ones for another $2000 or more. Don't forget the brakes as you should be improving them as a priority along with the unleashed handling performance Behringer or similar could be another $2000 or so.

Now you have some performance you may want to change riding position to match with lean forward bars and rearsets. Raaske make some but some complain about their quality but I have some Rizoma R6 versions with custom made CNC machined billet adaptors that must have cost the previous owner (now deceased) who also ran CF wheels approx. $1500 - $2000.

No point of all this without some more serious Mojo say $8000+.

So do you want to put another $20,000 into your $7000 Rocket or not? ;):p:eek::rolleyes::D:roll::roll::roll:

Front end, there's no clear "best" suspension. There are a few front options:

Traxxion Dynamics - $1100
Maxton - $1300 ish
There are one or two cartridge conversions I'm forgetting, Ohlins makes nothing.

Rear end there's pretty much two top choices:
Wilber's 642s or Ohlins HD that you adapt- both range 1400-1800 depending on options.

Tires - Too many opinions, there's no clear "best". To speed handling go Avon 140/75 front with any 240/50 to speed it a bit more, go with the 240/55 Exedra Max.

If you go Wilber's or Ohlins rears get them a bit longer than stock to vastly improve cornering.

Next step is the wheels as mentioned, $3600 shipped from the U.K. Pilot Power 3 240/40R18 or Dunlop Q3 240, stickiest tires made in that size.

Then your going to hit the "need a steering damper" point. Two choices, custom design and install a damper or get skilled at riding a "widowmaker".

Past that start looking at the things I've done, cut unsprung weight by replacing panels with carbon or fiberglass, replace stock steel bolts and nuts with titanium and aluminum fasteners. There's about 35lb to be saved doing this.

Next step is Custom parts:
Custom Aluminum swing arm
Custom Triple Trees to adjust geometry
Custom made Aluminum everything to replace steel to save weight

A max effort $100k rocket could easily get down in the high 500lb range, 580-590.

It would be cheaper and easier to start with a custom Aluminum box frame and design your own bike from the get go though.

So as you can see with all the money in the world, (about half of Bill Gates stash), you can really transform the Rocket. However in the real world much can be accomplished for a lot less. Here is my list that transformed the handling of my Rocket so much to the point I'll scrape my floorboards in the twisties with confidence.

Avon Cobra tires. 140/75VR17 up front and the standard size on the rear. Air pressure matched front and rear at 38 psi.
Rear shocks replaced with Progressive 440. (Better shocks are available today in the same price range.)
Front fork springs changed to Progressive and fork oil changed to 7 weight.

Just these changes made my Rocket rock solid in the twisties and all that callowalloing is gone. :):):)

Having gone about 1/2 way down the "ultimate rocket" financial road, I would do it again. The bike is incredibly rewarding, so if you have the cash go for it!

On my recent trip back to Hawaii last week, I now realize the roads there are the worst I've seen anywhere outside a war zone. The Wilber's were absolutely amazing there. Absolutely would buy again!

Front end, there's no clear "best" suspension. There are a few front options:

Traxxion Dynamics - $1100
Maxton - $1300 ish
There are one or two cartridge conversions I'm forgetting, Ohlins makes nothing.

Rear end there's pretty much two top choices:
Wilber's 642s or Ohlins HD that you adapt- both range 1400-1800 depending on options.

Tires - Too many opinions, there's no clear "best". To speed handling go Avon 140/75 front with any 240/50 to speed it a bit more, go with the 240/55 Exedra Max.

If you go Wilber's or Ohlins rears get them a bit longer than stock to vastly improve cornering.

Next step is the wheels as mentioned, $3600 shipped from the U.K. Pilot Power 3 240/40R18 or Dunlop Q3 240, stickiest tires made in that size.

Then your going to hit the "need a steering damper" point. Two choices, custom design and install a damper or get skilled at riding a "widowmaker".

Past that start looking at the things I've done, cut unsprung weight by replacing panels with carbon or fiberglass, replace stock steel bolts and nuts with titanium and aluminum fasteners. There's about 35lb to be saved doing this.

Next step is Custom parts:
Custom Aluminum swing arm
Custom Triple Trees to adjust geometry
Custom made Aluminum everything to replace steel to save weight

A max effort $100k rocket could easily get down in the high 500lb range, 580-590.

It would be cheaper and easier to start with a custom Aluminum box frame and design your own bike from the get go though.
NEW FRAME WOW LOL

If money is no problem you need some @IMFASTTOO suspension work.

20170618_200840.jpg

Ya got to like this one Art it took me a while. Kust wait for the exhaust to be designed :D

Back