I got 29,000 mi out of the first Commander ll on my 13' and currently have 23,000+ mi. on my15'

That is astounding tire mileage. I went ahead and ordered the Avon from Cliff's Cycle in Bremerton though. They came within a few bucks of the on line price and will mount and balance it for $20 if I bring the wheel in.

I don't doubt the AV71 would get 20k or better with a few provisos:
It's kept inflated to 36-38 psi, you don't beat it to death like I do, and you're not carrying a full weight and accessorized R3T + 500lb in Human + 200+lbs in gear. In those heavy weight scenarios, no tire's going to last long.

I hear riders who run the MC-2 tires talking about extended mileage that is well above the competition. I too run the MC-2 tire. Not just the great wear, but I appreciate the traction in both wet roads and in cornering. I've not ran the Avon's. Are they also getting these numbers in life span?

Just so i have this correct, you are running these tire sizes on a R3T??
@Navigator myself and a few others run Michelin Commander ll's f130/90/16 R180/65/16 they handle great, longevity 15,-16,000 on the rear mid to high 20,000 range on the front.
Had these installed yesterday, The dealership tried to talk me out of the front saying that the tire dimension size was too much different from the OEM size. Ended up having to sign a disclaimer to have them mount it, Rode it home from the shop (around 40 miles) and it seems to run smoother, and with alot less bar vibration. Anxious to get some more miles on them! Take offs were Metzler 880's!
Thanks for sharing the tire sizes !!

Had these installed yesterday, The dealership tried to talk me out of the front saying that the tire dimension size was too much different from the OEM size. Ended up having to sign a disclaimer to have them mount it, Rode it home from the shop (around 40 miles) and it seems to run smoother, and with alot less bar vibration. Anxious to get some more miles on them! Take offs were Metzler 880's!
Thanks for sharing the tire sizes !!

You will find the best benefit in cornering and espescially low speed turning

I ran the MC 2s in the 130/90-16 F and 180/65-16 R on my 09 Nomad and would get 20-25,000 miles out of the front and the rear. This bike is similar in weight to the R3T. I had 133,421 miles on my Nomad when I got rid of it for my 14 R3T with 2,700 miles on it. I had Avons put on because the original tires were 4 years old and I had 1,200 miles to go to get it home. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage I get out of the Avons. I am running them 38F/44R per Avon's recommendation on their website. So far I have put over 4,200 miles on them in the two months I have had the bike.

One thing I noticed about the MC2s on my Nomad, as the front tire wore down, it would develop a wobble. When the tire was new, I could take my hands off the bars and the bike would track straight. However, as it wore down, the front would wobble if I took my hands off the bars. With my hands on the bars, there were no problems and the bike handled fine. I had enough Ride-On tire sealant in it to help balancing as well as having the tire balanced when it was installed. I could not see evidence of cupping. I am a daily rider and keep up on my tire pressures. This wobble happened with each front tire I had as it wore down. Other than that, these are good tires in both dry and wet conditions.

Back