Finally got the wheel with the new Cobra mounted today and I learned that this will be the last wheel I ever pull off a bike. It was miserable. If my friend Cameron had not been there to help I would have been in a real fix.

The first challenge was determining what front axel allen size was. I've got a shop manual and believe it or not, it doesn't say. Then there was using two scissors jacks to get it raised properly. Oh and most importantly was trying to get up off the shop floor without feeling like the old man that I am. I even pulled a muscle in my left forearm so that my left arm was useless the next day.

It went back on pretty easily with Cams assistance. I took it for a ride and love the Cobra. What a huge difference over the Michelin. I'll be changing the rear next. I asked the service manager at Cliff's Cycle if they could remove the rear wheel and mount the tire and he said, "not a problem". One of his mechanics is a certified Triumph tech having worked at the Gorst dealership for several years before it closed. The below will never again be repeated in my shop. As old Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to recognize his limitations." and I now do mine.

Front Wheel.JPG

I run 38/40 and just a bit lower in hot weather, which we won't see here until late July/Aug

On the Commander, I've heard pretty good things about those tires and am willing to give the front a try. One of our other forum members, I believe it was Spawn, mentioned that he only got about 5K on the front. I'll have to go back and check his thread about being back on the road.

I got less than 5k with a Commander 140 front. Reckoned it was an anomaly and shall try another just to see.

Finally got the wheel with the new Cobra mounted today and I learned that this will be the last wheel I ever pull off a bike. It was miserable. If my friend Cameron had not been there to help I would have been in a real fix.

The first challenge was determining what front axel allen size was. I've got a shop manual and believe it or not, it doesn't say. Then there was using two scissors jacks to get it raised properly. Oh and most importantly was trying to get up off the shop floor without feeling like the old man that I am. I even pulled a muscle in my left forearm so that my left arm was useless the next day.

It went back on pretty easily with Cams assistance. I took it for a ride and love the Cobra. What a huge difference over the Michelin. I'll be changing the rear next. I asked the service manager at Cliff's Cycle if they could remove the rear wheel and mount the tire and he said, "not a problem". One of his mechanics is a certified Triumph tech having worked at the Gorst dealership for several years before it closed. The below will never again be repeated in my shop. As old Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to recognize his limitations." and I now do mine.

Front Wheel.JPG

Clint never used big words like "recognized". Twas "know" his limitations.
You can raspberry me tomorrow you can raspberry me tomorrow, Amigo.

Back