dawb

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
2015 with 65k miles, I hate to even start this, but here goes. Been running Avon Cobras and they were a big improvement over Bridgestones. However, reading reviews and all that, it seems Michelin Commander II's (And Metzler RoadTechs in some circles) are promising more miles and equal handling. Have Avon fans moved on to new tech tires or staying with Cobras? I buy for both dry/wet handling and longevity. What are you running?

Multi compound tires have a hard strip in the center of the contact patch. This reduces straight line traction.
I ran a Dunlop multi compound tires for about 10k miles. I had more rear tire spin on acceleration and rear locking up during braking than I was happy with.
Other than that, I liked how it handled and wore.

I'm on my 2nd Commander 2 on the rear. Michelin doesn't make a 150-80-16 front tire. I'm running my 2nd Elite 3 on my front. I really like the Michelin on the rear. I like the mileage on both tires. R3T-Too is correct. The new generation of multi compound tires run a hard center, soft edges. I've noticed the improvements on cornering, but not the problems with straight line riding.
Oh yes mileage. MC-2 tire ran 17,000 and about the same for the Elite 3.

The rear Commander ll's seem to get 16-17,000 mi. and want to come apart .(the torque of the best I'm guessing) 180-65-16. Good combination imo.

I have the same combination of commander 2 tire that @Fingers has, per his Recommendation! Great tires and makes the bike feel a lot lighter in the turns. 5k on them so far and they still look new!! The Metz rear was completely worn out at 5k and the front was cupped badly. Great tires.

I'm on my 2nd Commander 2 on the rear. Michelin doesn't make a 150-80-16 front tire. I'm running my 2nd Elite 3 on my front. I really like the Michelin on the rear. I like the mileage on both tires. R3T-Too is correct. The new generation of multi compound tires run a hard center, soft edges. I've noticed the improvements on cornering, but not the problems with straight line riding.
Oh yes mileage. MC-2 tire ran 17,000 and about the same for the Elite 3.

That Dunlop Elite 3 is an excellent Tire! Good choice.

I purchased my first R3 about 2 months ago with a 240/55-16 Bridgstone Excedra Max on the rear with a stock Metzeler on the front. Both were badly worn after I put another 5000km on it since the purchase. So I fitted a new set of stock size Cobra's on friday will see how they perform. I was not happy with the tyres on the bike they were badly worn on right side which did nothing for dry or wet riding confidence had about 10% rear tread and 10% front on the rhs, the bike needed a lot of countersteer input, steering was very heavy (compared to the new tyres). Generally it was a pig to ride but I suspect it was not due to the tyre selection but due to the excessive wear on them. My bro just bought a new R3 and has ridden mine (on old tyres) also commenting that it did need more physical input to ride.

Back