Tires - how many km

Martin_z_BA

.060 Over
Ride
everywhere
Hello, currently I have 13000km on my GT and the tires. In may I plan trip in Morrocco, maybe 5000km. Of course, normal use till rhen, so maybe 1000km.
How long I can expect that tires will be ok? I ride mostly in city and outside, on good asphalt, sport-cruising ride, nothing special,no burnouts, etc. Do you recommend to change the tires before the trip?
How long lasts the Cobras by you in average? Thanks for data. 😉

I'd have changed mine at 12000km. That's me. Front and rear.

If you're trip is 5000km. I'd definitely have a fresh set on before I started out on my trip.

That's me. I've done both Metzelers Marathon 880s and Avon Cobras. Front and rear.

If you're into any kind of weather or challenging roads, good rubber under you makes sense and provides good peace of mind.

My two cents...

It always amazes me, with threads like this. People seem to post how many km they got out of a tyre and when you see the pics, the tyre should have been changed 5000km ago.
I always err on the side of caution, when it comes to tyres.
Fronts that are scalloped are worn, even though you think that there is plenty of tread left. Rears that are flat in the middle are way more puncture prone.
In the dry most any shape tyre will suffice. It's in the wet that you will wish you had forked over your hard earned, after you have stopped crying and are having to pull your pride and joy out of a ditch.
Imo, if you are planning a big trip, new rubber. Prevention is better than cure.

You could do what I did. I scheduled a tire replacement along my route the last time I rode out west. If I purchased the tire from the dealer, they included the replacement... Gave me peace of mind on the ride back home.

Back