Mag Throttle Cruise control/Throttle lock.

Interesting concept. I've never had my BrakeAway slip and like any manual throttle lock you still have to tweak it now and then depending on the road. I always go for the front brake when stopping, so the BrakeAway works for me. Now if it had a servo motor in it and could be tied in to control your speed somehow...that would be something!

I have given the Break Away a good look and it appears to rob one of nearly an inch of grip space.

I have given the Break Away a good look and it appears to rob one of nearly an inch of grip space.

Take another look....a 1/2" maybe. I'm not sure what kind of grips you are running, but all I lost was the the part of the grip you can't use anyway. I did have to turn that shoulder part of the grip down a bit because it was slightly oversize for the BrakeAway. I knew that when I bought it. If you don't do that (as instructed) and put the lock on the flat of the grip leaving the shoulder part, then you might be into 1 inch or more with the install. The lock needs to rest on where the shoulder is...not on the flat of the grip. That is the problem you are talking about in a nut shell.

I made a jig that allowed me to rotate the grip against my sanding belt making the shoulder perfectly round and perfectly sized. All it took was a block of wood and a deep well socket I could rotate the grip on while sanding.

My wife always says...where there is a Phil, there is a way to do it. Even without the right equipment I always figure out a way get it done. :):rolleyes:

By the way, that little round rubber piece you see laying there in the picture came off the end of the grip near the shoulder when you shave the shoulder down. It was from the way the grip is made and was nothing to be concerned about.

Attachments

• 20161029_135208.jpg
    20161029_135208.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150220_133910.jpg
    20150220_133910.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150220_133623.jpg
    20150220_133623.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150220_134128.jpg
    20150220_134128.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Bedifferent
Gratitude for the information.
I now see my problema - my preferred grips are not cylindrical.
They are old style and bulge wider in the palm area.
They also are filled to capacity with my hands and I run no bar ends.
Twas a good idea until I learned more - thanks to you! :thumbsup:

@barbagris Chris,
I've ordered an Omni-Cruise. Shall see if it holds better than my Go-Cruise.
I've been using an Omni cruise for 2 years. Its OK, nicely made but it does slip. I haven't yet been able to find a "happy" tension for it. If you make it too tight the throttle return spring cant fight it so the throttle doesnt snap closed when you let it go, and if its not tight enough it slowly,(sometimes quickly) loses the setting. It is useful in relieving hand cramp by helping you hold the throttle where you want it with little effort but you cant take your hand off the throttle for very long.. certainly not for a mile.
I must admit I haven't tried using it without the rubber ring they supply that slips on the grip to allow you to close the throttle in an emergency when the thing is set. Perhaps the unit rubbing directly on the grip will give it enough "stick" to work while still allowing you to back off the throttle while its set.

Back