Lost shifting,not first report.

Baggage1

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Now I've made it a point to read as much as there is in here and half thru the Rat forum on the Rocket and this was not brought up.Out and about today in traffic in town coming out of 1st from a light and the shifter just lays there on my foot.The upper linkage had separated from shift knob.Got to the lonely repairmans parking lot,thought I might give him something to do,not really,tools out got a few threads started and limped to the Dealer.Dink said it has hapened to him and a few others,at different places on shifter.I've lost clutch and throttle cables before and gotten by no problem,first shifter.Glad I don't have linked brakes me thinks.Threads had evidence of locktite.Keep an eye out ya heah!:cool:

Funny coincidence the other day before Tom and I took off on a ride his shifter was loose and he had to tighten it up. Once again another example of how important it is to do a pre-'launch' inspection. Baggage1 good thing you were not in the middle of a romp through the gears.:eek:

Good Heads Up

Thanks Baggage1. This kind of information not only keeps everyone posted on possible problems.......... but also becomes a reminder of how important it is to "Pre Flight" the bike as Pig9r said. I've caught myself taking the R3 for granted. Mine always starts, runs smooth, no leaks on garage floor either after a ride or the next morning. I sometimes forget that if it's mechanical and electrical...eventually, something's going to malfunction.

Please .......just don't let it happen when I'm in the process of kicking a HD's butt! :eek:

What tipped me off was a "tingling" sound that I hadn't heard before. I did a quick once over and found the little acorn nut loose on the shift linkage. It had some kind of loctite on it but it looked more like plumber's putty than anything else. I may go through and re-locktite all that with the real stuff :D

Back