Looking for Battery Experts

Discussion in 'General Tech Talk' started by SMLWNKR, Dec 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SMLWNKR

SMLWNKR .020 Over

United States
    Ride:
    2006 Rocket 3 Classic
    Stock battery for the Rocket is in the neighborhood if 310CCA. Starting to see other batteries with the same dimensions and terminal +/- orientation in the 500CCA range. Can a person go with these batteries or is there some hidden risks? All are 12V, but some have more amperage to draw on if needed. Thoughts??

2. stavros

stavros .060 Over

United Kingdom
    Ride:
    2004 rocket 3, 1200 harley sportster. 1200 bandit
    the higher the amperage the better :thumbsup:

Starmanut likes this.
  3. Joesmoe

Joesmoe IMOKUR2 Staff Member

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Boog, Starmanut and TURBO200R4 like this.
  4. Tripps

Tripps Retired superhero

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird
    I swear by Motobatt, if you type in your bike on their website, the proper battery will come up.

AndyH and Kojack1970 like this.
  5. warp9.9

warp9.9 Pocałuj mnie w dupę

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    07 Rocket
    I'm curious since your where there is no winter to speak of except the dates are you having problems ? I run two batteries the equal 920cca so I've never tried the newer styles which some are lithium. I use a 320 cca standard battery. And a 600 cca lithium ferrous . The lithium is just anout 10 years old and no I do notknow how long it last but being pricey I'm down to about 50 bucks a year on it now. I suspect a Spaniard with a lot of battery knowledge will be along shortly :)

Kevin frazier, Jag and Tripps like this.
  6. Jag

Jag Living Legend

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2013 R3T
    just put a motobatt in my cart! Hope the wife gets my hint! I like the looks of the brass terminals!

Kojack1970, Starmanut and Tripps like this.
  7. SMLWNKR

SMLWNKR .020 Over

United States
    Ride:
    2006 Rocket 3 Classic
    My battery has some age. Twice now on a cold morning I got a couple of revolutions before the battery gave up. A jump from a spare car battery flipped it over easily. I have used a BatteryMinder Plus constantly and had good luck with it. Are there better battery tender/maintainers out there??

8. SMLWNKR

SMLWNKR .020 Over

United States
    Ride:
    2006 Rocket 3 Classic
    Also, transmission has been spot on since the rebuild. Shifts very nice. Thanks again for the assistance.

warp9.9 likes this.
  9. John Miller

John Miller .060 Over

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2011 Rocket 3 roadster
    I am using an AEM 420CCA - the first one I got failed within 6months, they replaced it free.

Personally I don't think the AEM works well with our summer heat the higher temps make for a not so happy battery.

Will see how long the second one lasts.

10. barbagris

barbagris Mad Scientist

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2009 R3-Standard - 1979 Guzzi V1000G5
    Having MORE on offer should be no risk. UNTIL - And I say this with some reluctance - it is.

Whilst everything else is OK - more than std is however unnecessary.
    But if (for example) the starter motor seizes - Then more can turn a smoky motor into a blazing one. The risk however should be seen as VERY VERY LOW.
    I have had a 1120Amp discharge through a seized Bosch starter. The effect was dramatic. 16aH LiFePO4 with 70C discharge.

There is a lot of geeky stuff in understanding battery chemistry, Peukert's law, Nernsts's equation ............................

CCA really only has any importance if you compare IDENTICAL chemistry. Wet acid is not the same as Gel or AGM and a long way from Li.

I personally have a pet hate regarding SEALED Pb/H2SO4 batteries in very warm climates - they dry out. Unless it gets VERY F*cking cold they are unlikely to freeze.
    In the cold Lithiums ime need to be drawn against before hitting the starter button to get the cells warm inside - Headlights on for 5s-10s for example.

LiFePO4 - ime is still the reliable automotive Li battery family - refined more to say that A123Systems cells are the only ones I would currently use.
    But make sure, generally, the unit has top end BMS built in. This should include over charge and over discharge protection.

An R3 will probably turn over and fire with a 5aH (maybe even a 2.5aH) LiFePO4 based on A123. I personally would get a 7.5aH. But these will NOT be cheap. An R3 is hardly a track bike where weight matters.

YUASA (full OEM spec wet acid) or I too like Motobatt AGM (just for the 4 posts). And if you are really worried - buy a little power boost doodad and keep it warm inside your jacket - just in case.

SMLWNKR and Tripps like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice