Looking for advice

Blair

Standard Bore
Ride
2015 Harley Forty Eight, 2011 Triumph Roadster
I am very interested in getting a Rocket 3 as an additional bike for a touring type ride. Since it will be an additional bike, I've been looking around at used models as opposed to new. There have been a few I've had my eye on, but at the moment the main 2 I've been considering are a 2009, which has about $2-3k in extras from what I've been able to look up, but has 71,000 miles for $5k. I've been told it has only had 1 previous owner, and seems like it has been pretty well cared for. Then there is a 2005, which would need nearly all applicable touring type gear with 21,000 miles for $6k. I haven't been able to get an idea of its previous history yet. I was hoping people would be willing to share some feedback and experiences as far as how many miles a well cared for rocket 3 has been able to handle, possible estimates for rebuilds, and general advice about which bike seems like the better bet. I'd appreciate any and all feedback people are willing to give. Thanks.

6000000001.jpg

6000000004.jpg

Thanks for the response. That's the exactly the type of info I'm looking for

Bienvenido al foro y saludos desde Madrid (España)
Veo mejor la 2009 por ser un modelo más moderno, además tiene ya extras para lo que buscas, si está bien cuidada creo que 71k millas no son demasiados kilómetros para un motor así
La 2005 es más barata pero puede ser más cara a la larga, además por lo que he leído por este foro puedes tener problemas con el conjunto del embrague y no es barato solucionarlo, no tiene extras (tienes que invertir dinero) y no sabes cómo ha sido cuidada
Tenía motos con muchos kilómetros que funcionaban perfectamente por el buen mantenimiento que les hacía y había visto motos más modernas con pocos años que eran "basura mecánica" precisamente por todo lo contrario, un mal uso y falta de mantenimiento
Está muy bien comprar "con la cabeza" pero escucha también "a tu corazón"
Suerte con la compra!!

The 2005 is definitely too much money. The 2009 is a little overpriced as extras don't equate to 'extra money' when you sell it. My opinion (which means nothing) I would shoot for $4,000 to $4,500 for the 09. Both look nice but I would go for the 09 and come in less than he asked for. Good luck.

Those prices do seem a little high.
Don't know where you're located, but this site's classified has a 19K mile '05 in western Washington with a lot of options for $3700 and the seller sounds motivated.

Are you aware Triumph made an actual Touring model? Buying one of those gets you the windshield, saddle bags, floor boards, etc. standard.

Maybe do a national search on Cycle Trader to get an idea of what's out there.

Good luck and have fun with the search.

Both of these bikes are sure winners. You will have fun on the Carpenter bike and has all the cool factor you could ask for, but may not fit what you are looking for in a touring...long rides in solitude without overwhelming exhaust.

I bought a set of shocks from @rreidiii and can vouch that he is a straight shooter. He has another ‘09 with low miles and in your price range. Some of the journey of the bike is setting it up to your liking.

Morning. For what you're looking for, the best bang-for-the-buck (and future bucks) is the 2009. IMHO, things that are used and cared for last longer. Low mileage sounds sexy but, like classic cars, lack of use over 15 years causes it's own problems. Just my thoughts...
-MIG

Back