Looking for advice on idle issue

Paul Davis

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket III Rodaster
Hello to all.

A little back ground; I recently just got a 2012 R3R with 7000 miles on her, and after a week of riding I wanted to check things out further. After pulling the side cover I noticed it had a Power Commander V with Autotune ( hay me ) So I hooked up my laptop and wanted to see what was loaded on it, to my surprise it was not configured and had no maps in it. So I downloaded the stock map and configured the autotune. Now the bike has a real rough idle with fluctuating RPMs. I tried reseting the AFR in the autotune to 13.2 and 13.8 with no fix to the idle issue. I would love to hear if any one had this issue before or any advise as to how I may go about addressing this issue. Thanks much

Ok, first off, I'm not one of the experts on this issue, but sometimes the simplest, easiest fix is the one needed.
Since no one else has chimed in, try this: After you did the map download,
Did you turn the power off, wait one minute, then turn back on? Then, Did you hit the "re-set adaptives" button after the bike powered back up? Then, Did you let the bike run the 12 minute auto tune after cranking without moving the throttle?

That's a no go on that attempt. Reloaded the maps to start from scratch, reset and let idle for 12 mins with no changes on the rough idle. going to lift the tank to check if any connectors may have come loose.

You have two tunes to consider. There is one in the ECU which may, or maynot, be OEM. Then there is the tune in the PC. In addition to that, the AT will be trying to do things if it is connected up AND if the PCV knows that it is there.

If everything was working fine before you turned the PCV on, or loaded a different tune into it, then go back to that configuration. Next, use TuneECU to find out what is in the ECU. Next, ask @HansO if he can supply you a tunes for your particular setup - one for TuneECU, and another for the PCV/AT. Load them, and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into that and see what I can see. When the PCV was hooked up last the bike was getting bad fuel mileage about 160 to a tank, the reason I pulled the seat and cover was to check the air filter that's when I noticed the PCV and autotune. After I check it out and installed the stock map and the autotune running the bike felt a lot better and the mileage was back to what I could only guess was normal, was just the idle was really rough. I still want to say thanks for the advice, I have been reading a lot of posts and learning all that I can, the Triumphs are a bit different than the Harley I have been working on for the last several years.

Same/same for the most part, just easier because one purchase has all the parts.

My suggestion is to zero all the fuel trim values, set the afr target table as you choose but zero the left most column and top two rows, go for a long ride. A long ride, accept changes, long ride, accept changes, then ensure no cell has an enleanment value over -12 in the trim table after the second accept. If it does, manually set to -12.

Cut the Autotune authority to 5% enleanment 10% enrichment, enjoy and don't accept any more changes.

Should be butter smooth.

Back