Long time lurker - it's time... almost

This COVID thingy worried me greatly, so I pulled my Rocket 3 order 4 weeks ago, I was heart broken but all the uncertainty was just too much of a mental struggle.

I'm coping better a few weeks on and I also was back to thinking Red would be my preferred colour, but may get a black one if the availability was better and get it painted white!

Well... it's been a long week. On Tuesday I came across a deal I could not refuse and my Rocket 3 R in Korosi Red, struck the deal a couple of days ago and she should be arriving this coming week, hopefully Wednesday. It's not brand new, but the 160miles it has done does not bother me in the slightest considering the discount I managed to secure and the lack of lead time to get it delivered to my door.

I had been speaking to my local dealer but the lead time is pushing to late June, possibly July for a new one, despite being told by a guy at Triumph HQ in the UK that they have Black R's in stock ready for distribution once lockdown is done with.

Of course it won't come with any options or accessories outside of the rucksack, but I will retro fit what I can myself and tinker with a few things whilst I wait to get out freely post lockdown. There will be opportunities to pick up essential supplies and I am one of 750,000 RVS volunteers in the UK, so may be able to deliver medicines if the opportunity arises.

I have ordered a power bronze screen (the small one), in dark tint and the rear hugger, hopefully to reduce the detritus spaltter all over the driveshaft/swing arm I see on so many photos. I will add a boot to protect the electrics that will be exposed by the latter. I will order some hepco and becker pannier C-Bow brackets as soon as they are available as I already have H&B bags, so will save a lot of cash over the Givi option from Triumph that I can spend on other things. The brackets can't look any fuglier than the Triumph ones, although won't be so nicely tuckedaway when not in use.

The options I have settled on to order as soon as I am able are:
  • Knee pads - I just think that they add a nice asthetic to the bike plus I'm going to need to hang on occaisionally!
  • Shift Assist - the more I read from those who have it, the more I need it!
  • Touring handlebars - I still feel that I will be more confortable sitting a little more upright with the mid pegs (which I will lower to the bottom position), but this is under review as I may just end up getting on with the stock bars. If I do swap them, I'll get the dealer to do it so they can bleed the brake lines properly.
  • Bar end mirror classic - I just love the look of them with the Touring handlebars over stock, so if I do change the bars ultimately, I'll put these on at the same time.
  • Heated grips - I intend to be fair weather oriented but I live in the UK and there are a few dry but darn cold days on offer here and this will encourage me to emerge from the warmth of home.
I will also refashion and move the rear guard / number plate and turn signal/indicator assembly to just under the rear light where I believe it should be, I think the designers must have slipped with their ruler!

Oh well.. the coutdown is on... 3 days to go, can't wait!

A few pictures of Jessica, named after Jessica Rabbit.... in the shop she is coming from.

s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
bpx-jessica-rabbit-1-c8058dd1-ynnj.jpg

I do love Jessica!
You intrigued me with the RVS stuff so I looked it up and see that it is a cool thing to do with your spare time. I thought it was just running meds around and see now it is so much more than just that.
In the States, we have med runners here and there and I have considered it as I think my bike could carry a fair amount.
What is your specialty in the RVS?

I do love Jessica!
You intrigued me with the RVS stuff so I looked it up and see that it is a cool thing to do with your spare time. I thought it was just running meds around and see now it is so much more than just that.
In the States, we have med runners here and there and I have considered it as I think my bike could carry a fair amount.
What is your specialty in the RVS?
I'm just a courier to be fair, meds, essential goods between pharmacy/hospital and patients/vulnerables... there are so many of us, I hardly get a look in. It works a little like Uber/Lyft, there is an app called GoodSam. You have 'alerters' that request assistance for delivery and you have 'responders'. The alert goes to the closest group of responders and whoever responds gets the 'job'. If nobody responds in 15 minutes, it widens the alert further out. There is no payment although if you wish, you can claim out of pocket expenses.

Just doing my bit in these extra ordinary times. :)

Welcome Mr Pix...Tal here, Christchurch NZ.
I too have ordered a new R3..wont be here until june and have been waiting since the 1st of Feb....decided on a Black GT but have ordered the mid controls and hope to leave the forward pegs there if possible as hiway pegs..I almost got the black R model but didnt like the lean forward.
Now i find there are 'Rox' risers available for these which will sit you up and back a bit more...it may suit your back and would be less costly than the GT bars.
Everything else is interchangeable...you have black rims on the R...a flat pillion seat and no heated grips...also the small flyscreen which you know about.
I have lower back problems too and have also had a speedmaster, a Storm and two Rocket 3 roadsters in the last few years..i find my back aches a tad with the feet forward especially if you hit bumps...hence the ordering the mid controls.
I'm looking forward to my new bike also cos i intend to do a bit of riding!!!...oh...i'm 71 this year! but i feel 50...except for right now cos its 11.00pm and i should be in the farter!

Welcome Mr Pix...Tal here, Christchurch NZ.
I too have ordered a new R3..wont be here until june and have been waiting since the 1st of Feb....decided on a Black GT but have ordered the mid controls and hope to leave the forward pegs there if possible as hiway pegs..I almost got the black R model but didnt like the lean forward.
Now i find there are 'Rox' risers available for these which will sit you up and back a bit more...it may suit your back and would be less costly than the GT bars.
Everything else is interchangeable...you have black rims on the R...a flat pillion seat and no heated grips...also the small flyscreen which you know about.
I have lower back problems too and have also had a speedmaster, a Storm and two Rocket 3 roadsters in the last few years..i find my back aches a tad with the feet forward especially if you hit bumps...hence the ordering the mid controls.
I'm looking forward to my new bike also cos i intend to do a bit of riding!!!...oh...i'm 71 this year! but i feel 50...except for right now cos its 11.00pm and i should be in the farter!
Thank Tal, I struggled to get comfy on my Speedmaster (Thumper), but once I had the Corbin seat, some better bars and converted to mid pegs, all was good... the belt drive conversion has made it so smooth now (and less messy). I'm looking forward to the smoothness of shaft drive on the R3, I think Jessica will be a great addition to my 'burrow'.

Picture of Thumper:
IMG_0191.JPG

And here she is.. Jessica... my new found friend!

Delivered yesterday. the rain stopped for 30 mins whilst she was unloaded from the van and popped in to The Burrow (need to get a sign made up for my workshop) with Thumper (who was a bit cross to start with!)

Had to make an essential 35mile journey round (maiden) trip to the DIY store to get some essential tester paints for my wife to try out... got essentially lost on the way back and it just started to spot rain as I pulled in to my garage.

I love the burble on deceleration... it's addictive! Took it easy as running in, but boy is she sweet!

IMG_0210.JPG

Super excited.... now to get tinkering with the hugger/rear guard and screen! Have to wait until lock down is relaxed to order the bars, grips and mirrors.

Definitely right to name her Jessica... I can see lots of similarity :)

IMG_0211.JPG

Back