New Member, lurking to learn all I can before I bite the bullet and purchase.

LimeyinTX

.020 Over
Ride
2022 Rocket 3R
As the post says, I'm ready to get back on two wheels.
My bike history is.
2000-2002 Honda CB600F Hornet - in the UK daily commuter between Gosport and Southampton. Cut my teeth on rides to Poole on a Tuesday night. At the time, Honda offered an advanced course with an ex-police rider on a Pan-Am. I still use road reading techniques to this day! Thank you, Sir!
2002-2004 Honda CB1300F - in the UK, some commuting in fine weather but mainly pleasure riding.
Bikeless due to living in Dubai (bad driving and too much sand)
2010-2012 BMW GSA 1200 - In the USA in Portland. OR. Daily ride in all weathers, weekends on logging roads, and one epic Route 101 Astoria to LA coastal trip.
Bikeless due to growing business and family.
2022 - Sees me living Northwest of Houston, TX. Busy family life will see me riding on Sunday mornings and the occasional Saturday. Why a Rocket?
1. Shaft Drive.
2. 6ft 3" and 225lbs.
3. It has Union Jacks on it!
4. Dealer is close.
5. Torque. As curves are not typical in this part of TX. It's more straight and then 90° corners off the highways, so I like the sound of blasting between each change in direction.
6. Naked. It keeps the top speed sensible, but acceleration from 20 to 80 is what it's all about.
I haven't taken a test ride yet, but I plan to in early December. Still undecided on R vs. GT.
I welcome your thoughts on the machine, Houston riding, and dealers for those who are local.

On your test ride, try and find a road with curves on it if there are any. The handling on the new Rockets is incredible (for their size).

I have the R and still get amazed how something so big can carve through the bends as well as it does. There's some kind of witchcraft going on there I tells ya!

welcome from Tucson Arizona USA
we seen u lurking
good luck on your rocket take it easy till u get used to the beast.
looking forward to pictures.

On your test ride, try and find a road with curves on it if there are any. The handling on the new Rockets is incredible (for their size).

I have the R and still get amazed how something so big can carve through the bends as well as it does. There's some kind of witchcraft going on there I tells ya!
Thanks, Guffer.

At 6ft 3" and 225lbs. you are a fairly good size rider. You can handle a R3. The R3 is unique amongst bikes as stated in most of the ads for these large critters and until you test ride one all recommendations are just that ! YOU are the only person capable of determining the viability of a R3. May I suggest that if you do test ride a R3 , you have the dealer put the "Beast" into SPORT mode. Providing you are very careful during the test ride , you will receive a response from the "Beast" that is almost indescribable by anyone using words.

WELCOME! to our R3 Family Forum... and that will be one tasty bullet when you get there.... Any photo's of your previous rides?
-MIG

WELCOME! to our R3 Family Forum... and that will be one tasty bullet when you get there.... Any photo's of your previous rides?
-MIG
You have to remember that much of my riding happened before digital cameras were on the back of our phones! I have none of the Hornet.

Attachments

• bmw 3.JPG
    bmw 3.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 12
  • bmw 2.JPG
    bmw 2.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 12
  • bmw 1.JPG
    bmw 1.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 12
  • cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 13
You have to remember that much of my riding happened before digital cameras were on the back of our phones! I have none of the Hornet.
Awesome! Yes, I remember (and sometimes miss) those days...
-MIG

Back