Long time lurker - it's time... almost

So you are responsible for all that heavy breathing??????????? toooooo much thinking just buy the bloody bike:D
Bloody likely on Saturday! CFO will go spare! (and yes, the deep breathing is me!!!!!!!!!, sorry if it has disturbed your sporran ;))

Thanks all for the lovely welcome!

Last edited:
Hi, I am a long term lurker on these forums and looking to order a R3 in the next few months.
I had many of the original Meriden (where I was born and grew up a few miles down the road) Triumphs (and a few BSA, Nortons etc) as I used to restore them (it was a lot easier to get parts back then) in my youth. When I was 28, I had a car accident as a passenger and broke my neck, I did learn to walk again but could not put a helmet on for years after so I sold all my bikes and gear! My biking days were done!

Or so I thought!

I saw the RIII launch 14/15 years ago and drooled for a long time...in the end, for my 45th birthday, my wife bought me a 1:12 scale model to shut me up (a bit), the steering worked and the wheels turned and the kick stand even came up and down along with working pillion pegs. It wasn't quite the same (great fuel economy) but I love that model and it has sat proudly on the top shelf of my book case ever since!

I have only recently (4 yrs ago) got back on motorbikes after 23 years away, I was bombing around Silverstone circuit in a Formula Ford Open wheeler - helmet very much on - for my 50th Birthday and suddenly realised what I was doing.....a few weeks later, I bought a new Triumph America to get me back used to riding, fell off on the way home, fixed her up, took a back to bike course and poodled around on her for a couple of years, put a few thousand miles on her and then thought about an RIII... and guess what... Triumph had stopped production!!

I took a new Speedmaster out for a spin whilst I was in for the America's second service service and ended up riding it home at the end of the day. It had a lot more grunt than the 865 and has been fun the past couple of years... but I have spent a lot of time getting the ride right, seat change to a Corbin to help my butt feel comfotable, Belt drive conversion for smoothness, mid peg conversion to help my back on longer rides, risers and handlebar replacements to help my wrists... I'm not a youngster any more and need my comfort so I can focus on the ride rather than fidget awkwardly.... I came to a conclusion before I parked my Speedmaster up for the winter months (yes I know).. that although I had made the bike mine and very comfortable, I had actually bought the wrong bike in the first place (made my local dealer feel awful when I told him this)!

I saw the R3 TFC announced and launch last year and started drooling again. I had just laid down the cash for the Speedmaster 6 months before so my CFO would not be open to further investments and to be honest, I was still getting used to the extra pull of the 1200HT engine underneath me.

I don't like sustained speed but I do like acceleration... always have... I don't think I have ever passed 145mph on or in anything I have riden or driven, but I like getting there as fast as I can, makes me feel alive!.

I have been sewing little seeds about what I want for my 55th birthday early this Summer and my wife has set about looking for a 1:12 scale mode of the new R3... what luck.... there does not seem to be one available at that scale!

I know where I can find a 1:1 scale model though ;)

Anyway, I'm a fussy old tart and do love my comfort and this is why I joined this forum... not to be an imposter as I don't own a R3 (I do own a really small 2004 RIII though), but to try to get some views from those that are of a similar age and mindset (I'm sure all you youngsters have good views too BTW).

Currently, my thinking is as follows:

I have missed the TFC, all sold and too expensive now. I love the look of the R, but the practicality of the GT. I also don't need a pillion all the while as my wife won't/can't sit behind me (or anyone else).

What I love/hate about the R:
+Mid footpegs
+It's Red!
-Short Seat
-Straighter handlebars

What I love about the GT
+Longer Seat
+Laid back handlebars
+Flyscreen
-Forward controls
-It's not Red

Soo... my thinking is that I get the R and add the GT Seat and filler pad, GT bars and Flyscreen

Also wanting Panniers, Knee pads and the MyTriumph Connect bluetooth module.

Any opinions on the above?

Thanks and looking forward to becoming a genuine owner in the coming months.
MrPix
Don’t waste your money on the GT flyscreen, it does nothing. Powerbronze has a actual windshield that works.

Don’t waste your money on the GT flyscreen, it does nothing. Powerbronze has a actual windshield that works.
Funny that, I had come to the same conclusion myself after reading some of the posts on here. Powerbronze is a UK firm to, so that's a win for me :) Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Well, I was lucky enough with the weather this morning, peaked at around 9°C and stayed dry as a bone. I arrived at the dealer on my trusty Speedmaster and parked up next to the door... noticing the red R3R and multicolour, but predominantly grey, R3GT sitting on the front outside the showroom.

My usual salesfellow was busy closing a deal and handed me his calculations as I passed him based on an email I had sent him yesterday with the desired config.

I got the keys to the R first off and was quickly shown through some of the options on the dash and off I went.

As suspected the pegs were almost perfectly positioned but the bars were too far forward for me and the wrist angle was uncomfortable. The seat was quite nice though, a good bit of cushioning for sure. I pootled around the local town making for the dual carriageway (highway) whilst the engine warmed up beneath me.

The Rocket 3 is just the right size for me. I look great on it. I know this because there are a lot of shop windows to look into whilst traversing the slow traffic populated streets and I accidentally caught sight of my reflection in nearly every one. In contrast, I dwarf the Speedmaster and actively avoid catching my reflection.

I hit the faster roads eventually and puled on the throttle in Road mode... geeeeezzzzuuuuusssschriiiistalmighty!!!

I jumped onto the motorway which has unfortunately been made 'smart' so there are speed sentries randomly placed on the gantries.... I switched in to Sport mode and played a little game of bending the throttle and testing the brakes betwwen them... the pull of this bike is insane... doesn't seem to matter what gear either, although the lower gears seem to run out of revvy stuff too quickly.

I put a couple of gallons of go-juice in at the next petrol station, just to take another look at the bike more than anything else apart from it said I had 6 miles left in the tank.... which was a bit of a compelling factor.... and off I went playing again... most of the slip roads on and off the motorway do not have speed cameras on them so I took the opportunity of feeling the wind at 130mph.... and it got there very quickly, I do love the poppletypop pop pop burble on decel.

I headed back to the dealers via the country roads, twisty and turny... I had a little 'moment of understeer' early on but remembered I had read on here or seen in one of the many review vids that the rear brake helped set up for the corners very well and indeed it does. With this under my belt, I never faltered for the rest of the journey. Whilst I found the straighter bars of the R slightly uncomfortable on my wrists, and my old man belly felt slightly under pressure as I was tilted forward, it certainly helped with control and stability.

I grabbed the keys for the GT and headed back out. I knew my back would not enjoy the forward pegs and I was right, just 35 mins on the GT and I was back at the dealers handing the keys back. I had a quick chat with the sales fellow and left to deliberate.

I jumped on my Speedmaster, it felt like a moped for at least 15 of the 26 miles journey home.

I had told 'the boss' where I was going and when I got home her first question was ... so what have you bought?

I would have taken more pictures, but it really wasn't top of mind, so only have a few of the R when I pulled in to a layby half way through in an attempt to lower my heart rate.

I need to have a real think as I really don't want to sell my Speedmaster, it has had so many modifications to make it just right and I do love it to bits but this limits what I can spend monthly on anything else. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to purchase outright so have a budget to stick to for deposit and monthly repayments.

Just a few moments ago, the CFO said... life is short, if you can afford it... get it.... whats more... this was without any prompting... well OK, it was in a 5 minute period where I did not talk about the test ride or have a stupid grin on my face at the time. This is extremely good news... is it not?

If the dealer can hit my budget whist keeping the configuration, then I may just bag myself a Rocket 3 in the very near future.

I'll keep thee updated mind.... and lurk a little longer if you are OK with that?
TTFN
MrPix

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    547.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 45
Well, I was lucky enough with the weather this morning, peaked at around 9°C and stayed dry as a bone. I arrived at the dealer on my trusty Speedmaster and parked up next to the door... noticing the red R3R and multicolour, but predominantly grey, R3GT sitting on the front outside the showroom.

My usual salesfellow was busy closing a deal and handed me his calculations as I passed him based on an email I had sent him yesterday with the desired config.

I got the keys to the R first off and was quickly shown through some of the options on the dash and off I went.

As suspected the pegs were almost perfectly positioned but the bars were too far forward for me and the wrist angle was uncomfortable. The seat was quite nice though, a good bit of cushioning for sure. I pootled around the local town making for the dual carriageway (highway) whilst the engine warmed up beneath me.

The Rocket 3 is just the right size for me. I look great on it. I know this because there are a lot of shop windows to look into whilst traversing the slow traffic populated streets and I accidentally caught sight of my reflection in nearly every one. In contrast, I dwarf the Speedmaster and actively avoid catching my reflection.

I hit the faster roads eventually and puled on the throttle in Road mode... geeeeezzzzuuuuusssschriiiistalmighty!!!

I jumped onto the motorway which has unfortunately been made 'smart' so there are speed sentries randomly placed on the gantries.... I switched in to Sport mode and played a little game of bending the throttle and testing the brakes betwwen them... the pull of this bike is insane... doesn't seem to matter what gear either, although the lower gears seem to run out of revvy stuff too quickly.

I put a couple of gallons of go-juice in at the next petrol station, just to take another look at the bike more than anything else apart from it said I had 6 miles left in the tank.... which was a bit of a compelling factor.... and off I went playing again... most of the slip roads on and off the motorway do not have speed cameras on them so I took the opportunity of feeling the wind at 130mph.... and it got there very quickly, I do love the poppletypop pop pop burble on decel.

I headed back to the dealers via the country roads, twisty and turny... I had a little 'moment of understeer' early on but remembered I had read on here or seen in one of the many review vids that the rear brake helped set up for the corners very well and indeed it does. With this under my belt, I never faltered for the rest of the journey. Whilst I found the straighter bars of the R slightly uncomfortable on my wrists, and my old man belly felt slightly under pressure as I was tilted forward, it certainly helped with control and stability.

I grabbed the keys for the GT and headed back out. I knew my back would not enjoy the forward pegs and I was right, just 35 mins on the GT and I was back at the dealers handing the keys back. I had a quick chat with the sales fellow and left to deliberate.

I jumped on my Speedmaster, it felt like a moped for at least 15 of the 26 miles journey home.

I had told 'the boss' where I was going and when I got home her first question was ... so what have you bought?

I would have taken more pictures, but it really wasn't top of mind, so only have a few of the R when I pulled in to a layby half way through in an attempt to lower my heart rate.

I need to have a real think as I really don't want to sell my Speedmaster, it has had so many modifications to make it just right and I do love it to bits but this limits what I can spend monthly on anything else. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to purchase outright so have a budget to stick to for deposit and monthly repayments.

Just a few moments ago, the CFO said... life is short, if you can afford it... get it.... whats more... this was without any prompting... well OK, it was in a 5 minute period where I did not talk about the test ride or have a stupid grin on my face at the time. This is extremely good news... is it not?

If the dealer can hit my budget whist keeping the configuration, then I may just bag myself a Rocket 3 in the very near future.

I'll keep thee updated mind.... and lurk a little longer if you are OK with that?
TTFN
MrPix
Great review, hope the 2020 works out for you. 3000+ miles on mine and I am not giving it back!

Welcome from Christchurch New Zealand.

Great write up also.

As much as it love the GT I will be keeping my 06 Beast.

Have sat on both models and even was in the shop on Saturday looking again.

I don't think I will ever ride one as I know I will want to own one.

My mate @Tal is getting a GT once the binkin thing arrives on this side of the world and I will happily sit a few hundred metres or more behind watching as I have done so for the past 3½ years of rocket riding together.

Thanks for sharing your story! ...and WELCOME! to the forum. Here's hoping your dealer can work with you on you price point. My CFO actually started me out on an America (as an empty nest present) before moving me up the Thunderbird and finally my R3T named Fiona.
-MIG

Back