Lifetime Honda guy just trying to get info on Triumph

Chevy327

Standard Bore
Ride
01 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Hello all from Texas!! First off, I apologize for the fact I had to join your forum because I am just after some good ol information, but I really felt this was the best and most effective way. A little introduction is in order here:
56 year old born and raised Texan. Been riding since a youngster, first on dirt and then street. All Hondas up to now, SL 70, CB 175, 360,CB 500, CB 750, and three Gold Wings, 2 Valkyries. Present ride is a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate.
Don't do any "touring" but not uncommon for me to leave 0600 and arrive back home 2200! Not a speed guy, don't do anything crazy, take care of my stuff. Love the reliability of the Hondas, never even had a head off of them.
But I want something new. Made the mistake of renting a Harley Ultra Limited a couple years back just to see how the other side lives, and I had a BLAST! Different than any riding experience I had been accustomed to, so now I am trying to decide on a new bike. The Rocket III Touring is one of the bikes I am interested in, but I know absolutely nothing about Triumph, and especially the R3. My best friend had a BSA 650 chopper way back in the day that was home built, but that's it.
Anyone ridden Harley touring bike or Gwings? Can you compare for me the good and bad of each? Again I'm brand new to Triumph and am trying to see if this avenue is something I need to pursue, like test drives and such. I don't even know if there is a Triumph dealer around here. Plenty of Harley dealers and Honda too.
I need to be comfortable for the day but something about the R3 is intriguing to me. I'm a mechanic by trade but now make my living working in a hospital. I realize the R3 is a performance beast but what about all day comfort? 2 up riding? Triumph Rocket 3, Harley Ultra Limited, and another Gold Wing are really the three I am interested in.
Cruise control is a must, so I will have to tackle that issue, as well as a bat fairing, so any input on those two problems is appreciated.
Again any info is appreciated!!!
Safe riding!!

Michael

I am 58 and live in Indiana.

I looked at the new Goldwing, but not having air conditioning was a deal breaker for me. But really the Goldwing is just such a well designed bike for its intended purpose. Who would not love one if they really admitted it.

But if you have an itch that needs scratched then the Rocket Touring will be a new adventure.

First in the creature feature area the R3T is minimalist. My dad had a 1984 Interstate that had more features than my R3T.

I have done a couple of 600 miles days on mine and it is not something you will want to do it out of the box.
  • New seat or have the original reworked. I had mine rebuilt. I also did a sheep skin cover because it is just cool. (get it cool)
  • Cruise control is sadly lacking and atm I am using a Go Cruise.
  • I do have a mount for my phone so I can use google maps, but it only gets turned on when I am in the area of where I want to be. Normally my guidance system is pointing the bike that a way.
  • The only music I need is the sound of the inline 3 pulsing an the sound of the tires beating the pavement. It is my zen.

The R3T will eat up the interstate for sure. Riding a Rocket is a partnership. It takes some work, but the love you get in return is worth it.

It will also carve up the back roads if you are one that has the nerve to throw this beast into a corner and then rip the throttle out of it.

My bikes are not another method of transportation.

They are an escape to a destination of nowhere. It is me time. My wife is my soul mate and shares it with me.

Today I have the bike of my dreams. A 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring. If the R3T appeals to you then get one quick because they are no longer in production. We expect to see a new version of the rocket in 2019 and it will probably have a more Euro styling.

PS
As a kid I had a picture of a blue SL70 on the wall that I wanted so bad. I was 14 and bucked bails of hay and bought a 1967 Bridgestone 175 for $200.00.
Then I bought a 1977 CJ 360 new. That SL 70 still haunts me. Wonder what my R3T would look like in that blue?

x0318-JR1286_Honda-SL70-640x426.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wgERDThj_5.jpg

Last edited:
Don't really know what your looking for there. You want to be comfortable but bored buy the Goldwing or Harley. Have owned and rode both. You want a bike that will challenge your ability as a rider by the Rocket. Not the most sophisticated bike but will keep you smiling. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Michael, I too have come from a long line of motorcycles. I returned to riding in 1998 and bought a new Valkyrie standard. I traded it for a new 2003 gl1800 Wing and rode the Wing for three years.
My experience with the Wing was actually lack of comfort. Way too confining due to the seat design, and the lack of legroom. Later, I returned to the Valk with another 98. This time a tourer. I wish I had never sold my first 98. I moved on to a 2010 Nomad which I rode for six years. It was a fine bike.
I traded my Nomad for a new 2015 R3T in the fall of 2016.
The Rocket is a xl version of the Valkyrie. I can honestly say for me, it is the most comfortable bike I have owned. Like the Valk, it is a brute and then some. Like the Valk, it is different, which is why I am drawn to it.
It doesn’t have all the plastic and buttons that the Wing has. It’s all business.
I ride because I love to ride. No radio, no gps. I am a happy owner!

I'll come on back for seconds. Recently had a guy on a valk try to outrun me on the highway. Just let him pass until he drooped a hand off the bars like he was cool. Had the same issue down in Texas with a BMW. Did not work out for either one of them. Once i saw the hand drop Game was on. When he met up with me at the light in Glenpool Oklahoma he could only shake his head in disbelief. Enough said:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Where 'bouts in TX are you? I don't have extended seat time on a Goldwing, but my brother has had several through the years. I rode them occasionally....ehhhh. He now rides a HD Ultra Classic Heritage Special Mega Super Duper Whatever Whatever Limited Etc...he likes it. Says it's smoother on the highway than the GW. I call BS! Here's my take on them...

The Goldwing is like a Cadillac Escalade..all the bells and whistles and you get to your destination in quiet comfort. Don't you dare put a bag of sackcrete in the back.

The HD is like a F350 4x4...shortbed. Loud, top heavy, handles like a tank in mud. Nice stereo with 12" subs behind the seat. You know what I'm talking about...there's one in every other driveway.

But the Rocket...ahhh yes the Rocket! 1970 GTO 455HO w/ram air...windows down and and a bench seat. Smooth lines and enough guts to spook you if you're not paying attention. People gravitate to it at drive ins and gas stations. You'd do well to be a people person because you'll spend lots of time answering questions about it.

My brother and I rode Central Texas to Branson, MO in 13 hours...just over 600 miles in one day. Me on the R3 (with a Corbin seat) and him on his Harley. When we got to Arkansas he kept asking if I wanted to trade bikes for a while. :roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
Ultra, Goldwing, R3T: Three totally different bikes.

Do you like to corner quickly? If yes then HD disqualified.

Between the wing and R3T, I suggest riding both and getting a feel first. The R3T is the faster bike if you derestrict it with a free program and 5 minutes of your time, you’ll have 50% more torque peak and more from idle to redline on the R3T.

Cornering prowess stock goes to the wing.

People rant and rave about wings being comfy, but in all honesty their forks are trash as delivered, unless we’re talking the new 2018 wing. If you mean a new model wing it’s a technological wonder with phenomenal riding dynamics, suspension and brakes.

Buy whichever stirs your soul and puts a grin on your face more, you’ll be happier every time you walk out and start it up!

There’s about a $10,000 - $12,000 difference between a new old stock R3T and a 2018 wing. With about $2,000 you can rework the rocket suspension to a level NO stock bike matches. Spend another 1-2 K on things like the batwing and other accessories and I’d argue the R3T will end up the more comfortable of the two.

I started riding in 1950. I rode Indians (Beaver, Arrow, Warrior) in my wee years until high school when twas AJS, BSA, Ducatti, Norton).
After that twas all rice burners (Hondas & Kaws).
My 2012 R3R was/is my first Triumph.
Next to a sport bike (too old & decrepit), this is the B-E-S-T road monster ever!
I have had 60,000+ miles of smiles and when it wears out I'll get another!

Back