Knocking - R3T

MaxB

Standard bore
Ride
2011 R3T
Hi All. Started noticing a knock from the engine the last couple of short (COVID restricted) rides.
Just had clutch changed, bike has done 80k kms, and when idling sometimes the knock is quite noticeable...deep and solid sounding. Pull in the clutch and it stops. Turned the ignition off after last ride and last few revs after ignition off resulted in probs 3 or 4 very noticeable deep knocks as the engine came to rest. Tried it again with clutch in and was fine... scratching my head here. Any thoughts?

I would say an investigation is needed. Take the front cover off and take a look at the clutch basket, something may have come loose or broken. If you find nothing then it would be an engine out and bottom off inspection. On my old tiger I had something similar after i changed the clutch plates, I did not fully tighten one of the springs.

Last edited:
I would say an investigation is needed. Take the front cover off and take a look at the cutch basket, something may have come loose or broken. If you find nothing then it would be an engine out and bottom off inspection. On my old tiger I had something similar after i changed the clutch plates, I did not fully tighten one of the springs.
Thanks Pablouk. Good first step I reckon. Cheers

When you take to cover off drain the oil first to see if you have any swarf floating around, this may be a worry but it could identify what if any parts have suffered unwanted wear before you even start.

Before you do that place your hand down around the chrome reinforcing cover and see if you feel the knock. And also during your shutdown to see if you feel the last knocking rotations. You can pull the chrome cover and the rubber cushion of the clutch cover its just bolted on the outside helps in dampening and reinforces the clutch cover where the liftershaft goes thru. Trying to isolate the area the knock is coming from.

Thanks fellas. Just have to pluck up courage to start pulling things apart. 😎
Don’t think I’ll take it much further than the clutch cover though if it feels like it’s coming from there. I do have a workshop manual though, perhaps that will give me courage!

Thanks fellas. Just have to pluck up courage to start pulling things apart. 😎
Don’t think I’ll take it much further than the clutch cover though if it feels like it’s coming from there. I do have a workshop manual though, perhaps that will give me courage!
there is a good you tube video I found today, hes done three parts, it looks OK to me

Hi All. Started noticing a knock from the engine the last couple of short (COVID restricted) rides.
Just had clutch changed, bike has done 80k kms, and when idling sometimes the knock is quite noticeable...deep and solid sounding. Pull in the clutch and it stops. Turned the ignition off after last ride and last few revs after ignition off resulted in probs 3 or 4 very noticeable deep knocks as the engine came to rest. Tried it again with clutch in and was fine... scratching my head here. Any thoughts?

Please give a feedback once you find out what was that!

Please give a feedback once you find out what was that!
Ok will do. I felt the chrome cover but was inconclusive, very faint knock. Plus I could not replicate the knocks I heard last week as the engine came to rest. I have to get a new tyre fitted at the dealership plus needs oil change so will get then to have a listen / look. It’s only a short distance away so should be ok to ride gently.

Back