2011 R3T Transmission issue 49k miles

R3T-Too

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Rocket III Touring
A couple of months ago I had 4th gear start slipping anytime I gave her a little throttle. Felt kinda like a loose chain slipping links.
I was laid off and didn't feel like wrenching in TX heat, so I've let her sit.

Well it's a cool weekend and I decided to drop the sump.
There's virtually no debris. Some small shavings in one of the screens; but not the rear output bearing I was expecting to find.
I'm definitely not a mechanic but do read a few threads on here. I'm guessing it's the cir-clip?

Any ideas on cost to repair?

1601740286291.png

Anybody interested in buying a bike with transmission problems?

Not sure I want to put the money into a 10 year old bike. I love riding the Rocket, but she's a fickle mistress.
Thinking about trading the Roadmaster in for a Challenger in the spring. They don't have the shear grunt of the Rocket, but they're not anemic. And I'm happy with the reliability of Indian.

certainly looks like more than original machining swarf.
Looks like you caught if before anything catastrophic happened so the repair would actually be reasonably cheap if you were able to do it yourself - otherwise your up for at least 12hours labour on top.

Since you don't have a lot of swarf and you have the sump pan down. I would stick a scope up and check the detent spring. I know there is that why didn't find it in the sump thoughts but I've seen that spring end up resting in other places. Like getting tossed over by the crankshaft. Before you decide it's to much work I'd check that spring. It might be less work then a transmission issue.

Thanks Warp, your advice is always appreciated.
I don't have a scope and I'm really starting to move toward selling the bike.

Scott

Back