Knocking - R3T

I wouldn't hope for the best I would seriously take the cover off and just take a look to be safe before you go riding.
Yes you’re right Pablouk. I think RACV Total Care will be getting a call, I get a free tow up to 100kms 👍

Successfully had the bike towed to the dealership and senior mechanic felt knock through cover as he gently released the clutch. They will check that out before doing anything else. He did mention that there is a bolt (somewhere) in the transmission on the R3’s that is prone to loosening over time so we are hoping it’s not that as that involves engine out and strip down. Ouch

Well that was interesting!!
The senior tech at Peter Stevens - Paul - a guy I trust along with the rest of the senior team there - called me back after they had had the bike for only a few hours. A number of them including their guys with stacks of R3 experience had had a good listen and concluded that the noises where not inconsistent/unusual for that model and its age - 2011 > 85K kms. They definitely heard the clutch related the knock (as per last post) but concluded it was not serious enough to start pulling things apart! Paul then mentioned that the oil I supplied Penrite 20W-50 full syn would be too heavy for the bike (I supplied it because she runs hot having been tuned with Power Commander and Dyno which removed the quite rich tune of the de-restriction ECM flash I popped in the bike a couple of year ago - complements of Power Tripps - highly recommend BTW) The guys that did the clutch change replaced the lighter Motul (hmm) 10W40 oil used by P Stevens with a Fuchs 20W50 for similar reasons to mine and to try to smooth the rather clunky gear box - it helped a bit in that regard at least. Paul suggested that the heavier oil might be contributing somewhat to the the knocking noise...? and that the oil ways where designed for a 10W40 weight so best to stick with that. She does run pretty hot thought so I figured the extra engine heat would compensate - there is a whole new thread here guys... I capitulated so it's back to (probably Motul..hmm) 10W40
Just waiting for new front rotas and new rear tyre fitted and back on the road...OK! Great!...I think. :rolleyes:

Mmmmm, clutch change and mysterious noise appears, 50wt to heavy but I believe book may say 40 or 50, i hope it’s normal and you never have an issue, if the judder spring was installed wrong direction could be an issue, but noise appearing after clutch change sounds like maybe possibly an installing error however small may be showing its head, hopefully its nothing, ride it like you stole it brutha

Mmmmm, clutch change and mysterious noise appears, 50wt to heavy but I believe book may say 40 or 50, i hope it’s normal and you never have an issue, if the judder spring was installed wrong direction could be an issue, but noise appearing after clutch change sounds like maybe possibly an installing error however small may be showing its head, hopefully its nothing, ride it like you stole it brutha
Ha ha, nice one Kevin. Yep probably will ride till it clearly really is buggered. Get it rebuilt and go again. Just love the bloody thing!
Err, oops, are the few big glasses of wine just consumed may be showing up a bit here?

I hope it dont bugger up bud enjoy that wine :thumbsup: if whoever did the clutch did make an error hopefully it will only be a little clunkier than normal but not give you any real trouble

Ok will do. I felt the chrome cover but was inconclusive, very faint knock. Plus I could not replicate the knocks I heard last week as the engine came to rest. I have to get a new tyre fitted at the dealership plus needs oil change so will get then to have a listen / look. It’s only a short distance away so should be ok to ride gently.
Chrome pipe cover normally is the case. The same on my RIIIT. Hope it's exactly the reason.

Back