I've never been to Spain.....

Rota Spain is OK. Palma the island that never sleeps. By far the best was Barcelona Spain. Was in port there for a little over a week. (AMPHIB) Did not want to leave.Great restaurants, Lots of night life. The people were friendly and helpful. Lots of mom and pop shops and fair prices.

Agree on Rota which is why we always headed to El Puerto. Never made it to Barcelona. Spain is in a bit of chaos right now with the Catalonians wanting out.

Spain is in a bit of chaos right now with the Catalonians wanting out.
Hmm so you get fed the same one sided crap we get about your boy Donald. I do not know one single Catalan who wants out. And I know quite a lot. Most are worried about having a job independent of what happens.

You are not missing much, used to use Spain in the same way Americans use Mexico for cheap holidays and cheap very nasty drink.

I respectfully disagree. There is very much to experience and the history is inspiring - walking on a 1st century Roman Road - antiques that predate Columbus . . .
I spent a couple weeks in Spain back in 77.
Drove around a fair amount in a rent-a-Seat to Torremolinos, Ronda, The Alhambra, Toledo and Madrid.
Loved the country and peeps and reckon to return before I'm too old.

Hmm so you get fed the same one sided crap we get about your boy Donald. I do not know one single Catalan who wants out. And I know quite a lot. Most are worried about having a job independent of what happens.

Excuse me but you must have missed the reports that were carried by virtually every international news wire service to include Reuters, BBC and CNN, with photos, of the massive protests, the beatings and arrest of the protesters by Spanish police following the "unauthorized" independence referendum. Also included was some pretty detailed historical analysis of the separatist movement that included the the divide on the issue among Catalonians. Oh and the arrest of Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont for daring to hold the referendum also made the international news wire services. Isn't that interesting, one holds a vote and is accused of treason.

I never consider myself to be "fed" anything, spending over an hour+ every morning reading the news from approximately 10 different national/international sources to include the ones I mentioned above along with RT News and Al Jazeera and various Asia-Pacific news sources.

And yes, President Trump is routinely condemned by nearly all of them which means he is perhaps doing something right for America.

Last edited:
Oh and the arrest of Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont for daring to hold the referendum
Well considering it is legally TREASON - yes. Spain like the USA has a written constitution. ILLEGAL not UNAUTHORISED. And let's be clear - this illegality is recognised internationally. Spain is a new democracy in the great scheme of things. But has some serious pre-democratic hangups - especially for the regional power hungry.

Thing is that people who live there - with businesses or dependant on trade - know they will suffer. When you realise how much BCN etc depends on specific types of business that will simply disappear if there are borders established it is a worry for them. I know Internationally active Catalan companies that have already moved moved to France, Castilla and Portugal as a result. I could add all sorts of calamatius foreboding based PURELY on how Law and Order is funded - but won't.

I really don't care either way as long as the SPLIT is total. Same with BREXIT - I really don't care (as long as my mum does not suffer). And to be clear - I am as British as they come - I have rejected taking Spanish citizenship and will do so until I die. But no namby pamby - we'll keep this bit coz we like it but get rid of that coz we don't. Weigh the pros and cons and do it. Live with the consequences of choice - make an uninformed choice - your bad. I made my choice 28 years ago.

Democracy is what it is. Absolute power over government. But when democratic acts are driven by the unscrupulous with a political agenda and powered by the obedient rather than the self determinate - then that is NOT democracy. It has has many names - and has caused wars, international and civil.

People with money/influence will still have it and those who do not still will not.

I respectfully disagree. There is very much to experience and the history is inspiring - walking on a 1st century Roman Road - antiques that predate Columbus . . .
I spent a couple weeks in Spain back in 77.
Drove around a fair amount in a rent-a-Seat to Torremolinos, Ronda, The Alhambra, Toledo and Madrid.
Loved the country and peeps and reckon to return before I'm too old.

Not to mention 6 of the top 50 restaurants in the world, red wines that are up there with some of the best, some of the most historically significant cities and sites in the world.
You can find a cheap holiday and crap booze in any country in the world, as @barbagris said, if that's what you're looking for

In 2016 the good lady a d I spent 3 weeks touring Spain and Portugal and having only been to the usual tourist fly in, drink/eat/swim, fly out resorts before was blown away by the diversity of the landscape and people.

Will most certainly be back to explore more in the future.

P.S. F#ck Brexit.

Back