It sure don't look or sound like a Harley, but apparently it is

aint no way you can quit using petroleum totally its being used to make way to many products hell even youre solar powered equip. would have to have some kind of lubrication would it not? glad you hypocrites get 9 hours sleep every night I am lucky to get 6 when on tour later dude I got better things to do yeah I know I walked into it but its hard to keep quiet when someone tries to put down what I have done to take care of me and mine for so long/ take care

If you drove one you would want one!
I built a solar powered house in Satellite Beach and tried to make it "net zero", but made an extra two thousand kWh that was put back onto the grid and received three cents per kWh in return. Charging a tesla would use that extra up rather than return it to FPL for peanuts.

You clearly have a huge ax to grind with electric vehicles, and let's not start tossing around personal insults. 130 miles return trip is again plenty for the average commuter, always assuming one can't arrange for charging at work. You're also hugely overstating charging times. Yes, if one would take no other steps but to plug the car into the mains at home, it would be 9 hours. Only a fool would not install more high capacity charging options if they buy an $80k car that needs it.

I'm not saying a Tesla style car is suitable as a delivery truck or anything where you have to drive for 12 hours a day, obviously, not until there is a battery switching infrastructure in place. I'm just talking about 98% of the population or so.

Also, that tired old "the USA is so big, everything has to suck and be expensive" cliche is simply not true, not for Internet access and not for this. Every larger area can be split into smaller regions. You already have 50 of those. The effort per region is the same as in any smaller nation. Yes, you need more people in total to do the job but it anything larger areas give economies of scale - you wouldn't need 50 times more people, since you could re-use those workers in multiple locations it would probably work out to fewer workers in total to cover the entire nation.

But you also get more money back from the investment because there are more users and thus greater aggregate gain.

For the record, there are thus far zero Supercharger stations in Finland, as far as I know. There are some in Europe.

The USA has 98 strategically placed ones now. In 2015, they will be many enough to be usable for 98% of the population.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

In addition, all Tesla cars can have their batteries robotically switched. It's not being done but if the need were to really arise it could be done.

http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap - that's a 90 second refuel, faster than refueling your gas guzzler.

As for the steam engine thing - using electricity to heat it would be folly from an efficiency viewpoint, since you'd lose a lot of stored energy by converting the electricity to steam and the steam to motive force. That's the same reason, by the way, that hydrogen is a bad idea, it's an unnecessary intermediary step from taking the electricity and powering a car directly. All forms of transit use energy of some kind - steam cannot be created for free, there is always going to be an energy cost. Alcohol has a very low energy density compared to gasoline and kerosene, so you'd have to haul a lot of alcohol to get any kind of range out of a steam car.

The future is here, may as well get used to it.

Last edited:
its hard to keep quiet when someone tries to put down what I have done to take care of me and mine for so long/ take care

I'm not putting down your work or your efforts. I'm just saying that fossil fuels are killing humankind and we have to find better ways to transport ourselves than by continually pouring poison into our atmosphere. Caring for your kids is more than feeding them, ideally they should also be able to look forward to a world where they can live, eat and breathe the air.

I'm not attacking anyone personally. I am saying that the days of the gasoline powered vehicles are numbered. That's the only logical outcome if we want our species to have a livable planet.

I'm not putting down your work or your efforts. I'm just saying that fossil fuels are killing humankind and we have to find better ways to transport ourselves than by continually pouring poison into our atmosphere. Caring for your kids is more than feeding them, ideally they should also be able to look forward to a world where they can live, eat and breathe the air.

I'm not attacking anyone personally. I am saying that the days of the gasoline powered vehicles are numbered. That's the only logical outcome if we want our species to have a livable planet.
WHAT EVER

The future is here, may as well get used to it.

1960's - The Nuclear Power Industry said: "The future is here, may as well get used to it."

1960's - The Supersonic Transport Industry said: "The future is here, may as well get used to it."

How'd those work out for ya?

I'll tell you what - let's revisit this in 2044 and see who's right. Oh, I'll be 95 and it really wont matter to me anyway.

Never mind!

emily-litella.jpg

I think it worked pretty well, we have used nuclear power for quite a while. But that too needs to change now that we can do better. Supersonic transports had some issues, to be sure. That's why we try again. None of these things are germane to whether or not EV's are practical, but if you feel you must have the final word by bringing up irrelevancies after being proven wrong, by all means if it makes you feel better. We can agree to disagree.

I think it worked pretty well, we have used nuclear power for quite a while. But that too needs to change now that we can do better. Supersonic transports had some issues, to be sure. That's why we try again. None of these things are germane to whether or not EV's are practical, but if you feel you must have the final word by bringing up irrelevancies after being proven wrong, by all means if it makes you feel better. We can agree to disagree.
You have a unique concept of proof; you say it's so - so it's proven. I'm not sure that would fly as proof anywhere else but in your world.

I'll tell you what let's do. Let's travel across the US, from my home here in South Florida to Seattle Washington. I'll use my old technology, 7 year old BMW Z4 3.0si and you can use any Tesla you choose. Let's see who's waving to whom as the other arrives.

But, failing this, yes - we can agree to disagree.

You mean "hypocrite", and I don't think I am. Sure, the Rocket sucks up a lot of gas, but still less than the average car. But also, like many others I'm not willing to give up my main hobby or the ability to do longer touring simply because there is no clean technology yet that can do it.

As I said, there are no motorcycles yet that you can go touring on, because the infrastructure that is there for gas vehicles is not there for battery vehicles.

That's why I think it's crucial that change comes from the top down. Replace roads with maglev based PRT systems, or at least add those as well so public transit becomes convenient and faster than cars. Push on making electric vehicles more and more practical and so on.

Motorcycles and cars are horrible things for our shared planet. Even so, I love mine and like so many others won't give it up until I have to. Which is why the notion that people will voluntarily change to something less convenient is nonsense, the only way to clean up our act is to make it more convenient to not pollute. We have a long way to go there yet, and the fact that huge oil and coal interests and greedy swine like the Koch brothers are actively preventing that progress isn't helping.

There are many motorcycles that you can go touring on that are much more fuel efficient than the Rocket. So yes, you are likely a hypocrite. Not a personal attack, just an observation.

And please don't introduce political fantasy like your attack on the Koch brothers into this section. I'd prefer to leave the discussion here rather than move it to the Final Drive.

"The want of money is the root of all evil" As long as the oil companies can keep us buying their product, and they still have product to sell, nothing will change. Now, when we seriously start running out of petroleum and the prices reflect the "reality", say for instance $15/$20 per gallon, then you'll start seeing improvements in mileage, and other types of propulsion. Right now the oil companies play games with our heads, in order to keep us buying. The rich get richer thing. As far back as the 50's and 60's, there were people developing very fuel efficient engines, and devices to greatly improve the mileage of the current engines. But most all of these ideas were shot down. Either the patent rights were bought out by the oil companies, or the developer just could not gain enough capital to go further with his idea, as the cost of gasoline is kept "just within reach" so to speak. It's kinda like, when you want a glass of water. Are you going to go out in your yard, and start digging a well, or are you going to the corner market, and pay $1.50 for a bottle of water. BTW water is getting more and more expensive too! (Supply/Demand). Just sayin, that's all..................

Back