It sure don't look or sound like a Harley, but apparently it is

A strange look made stranger by the absence of exhausts. May take a while for this one to grow on us.

We trudge on.
We rejoice that another American company is forward looking.

First the Streets, now this. I wish a Zero manufacturer was closer, cuz I'd love a test ride.

Bravo Harley for spending some R&D money on something genuinely new (for them).

The problem in my view is that we're demanding things from batteries that make no sense to demand.

That is, battery packs should be externally replaceable. You put the vehicle in some form of robotic switching station and switch out the battery the way you would in an old school flashlight that's gone dark. Teslas can support that today, and there was a company in Israel called Better Place that had that entire thing as their business plan. Those cars were more convenient than gas cars in every way, and required far less maintenance. You drive into a facility where a robot removes the battery under the car and puts a fresh one in. Took less than two minutes.

People complain a lot about electric vehicles running out of charge and the like too but really, the problem is a lack of infrastructure, not a shortcoming with the cars. If you have a gas powered vehicle and there are zero gas stations in the country, you're kind of stuck with a hunk of metal not going anywhere.

People often forget the massive machinery that exists to create the fuel. Gas stations, tanker trucks, tanker ships, massive refineries... without those things gas vehicles would be completely useless.

I think it's a great idea. The technology is coming. Both my bosses have Tesla sedans, one actually prefers it over his Mercedes, they are incredibly fast too, however they haven't got rid of their Ferrari or Maserati to date. If it was affordable, I would consider getting one, good for the city.

Back