Is anybody having trouble with the LCD Gauge display not staying on a 2020 R3?

Italianguy069

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Has anybody had trouble with the LCD display not staying and keek dropping no matter how much you tighten it up? If so how were they able to get it to stay put?

Mine stays put unless I hit a bump or small pothole then it goes down. I believe this is why so many have broken glass on their screens. If you have it up and hit a sizeable bump it slams down. It doesn't take much effort to move mine although on the freeway it usually stays in place. I don't believe you can tighten it so much it doesn't move but I've been wrong before. Once in 1990 I think. :thumbsup:

Definitely not slamming down at all but as I ride it will slowly go down due to vibration and getting tired of keeping putting back up if you know what I mean ! Hoping there was a quick fix !

My display unit has always felt really solidly mounted. i.e. no way I can move it without damaging it kinda solidly fixed.
This has given me some concerns about resilience to vibrations. I feel like it should be iso-mounted (rubber damped).

I had a problem last Sunday when I was out on our local Distinguished Gentleman's Ride-out.
The screen went dead about 10minutes into the start of the ride. Completely black.
When we got to the midway stopping point I turned off the engine and then tried to get the screen to fire up by switching the bike on again and got a couple of lines to show across the display for a couple of seconds, then it fully died again. I fired her up at the start of the next leg of the ride and the display (so, it was about a half hour's break) and suddenly it worked fine at start up. Then died about 15 minutes later.
At the end of the ride out, I fired her up to head home and it was working ok for the 30 minute run home.
I'm hoping it's just a connection issue. Will need to investigate when I have some free time.

Electrics can be a pain.......and can be expensive too. Fingers crossed.

It's an excuse to take the display off the mount so I can get access to the connector on the rear face. Then I can also have closer look at how the display is mounted.
I suspect there is a design issue with this assembly that links all of these reliability problems.

No problems with mine. The times I've had any electrical gremlins have all led back to loose battery terminal bolts. I flipped my mount upside down to raise the whole tft up. I liked that mod someone else had done and it puts the cluster up closer to see and shows off the upper tank mount better. But doing that eliminates the rotation feature/defect. I mean it doesn't move at all now.

My display unit has always felt really solidly mounted. i.e. no way I can move it without damaging it kinda solidly fixed.
This has given me some concerns about resilience to vibrations. I feel like it should be iso-mounted (rubber damped).

I had a problem last Sunday when I was out on our local Distinguished Gentleman's Ride-out.
The screen went dead about 10minutes into the start of the ride. Completely black.
When we got to the midway stopping point I turned off the engine and then tried to get the screen to fire up by switching the bike on again and got a couple of lines to show across the display for a couple of seconds, then it fully died again. I fired her up at the start of the next leg of the ride and the display (so, it was about a half hour's break) and suddenly it worked fine at start up. Then died about 15 minutes later.
At the end of the ride out, I fired her up to head home and it was working ok for the 30 minute run home.
I'm hoping it's just a connection issue. Will need to investigate when I have some free time.

Electrics can be a pain.......and can be expensive too. Fingers crossed.

It's an excuse to take the display off the mount so I can get access to the connector on the rear face. Then I can also have closer look at how the display is mounted.
I suspect there is a design issue with this assembly that links all of these reliability problems.
Never had my display go out on me before. That either a bad connection or sitting in the sun too long could have over heated display. Also loose battery cable would definitely do it also as Stingray said .

Never had my display go out on me before. That either a bad connection or sitting in the sun too long could have over heated display. Also loose battery cable would definitely do it also as Stingray said .
Definitely not a loose battery connection, so my next step is the connector into the display itself.

Sounds like a good plan ! 👌 Keep us up to date if you find anything .. And if you can find a way to secure the gauge better let me know!
Yesterday I found time to strip off the display unit to enable access to the multi-connector. I pulled it off and applied some electrical grease and then re-fitted it back together and went for a ride.......So far so good......all working as it should.
Will be interesting to see if it stays that way.

Discovered that the display unit is in fact iso-mounted. I didn't think it was because it feels very solidly fixed.

**** Update****
Not good news, i'm afraid.
Screen black out has happened again.....twice on the same day.
There is however, a pattern emerging.
It appears to be due to engine heat.
The first time it happened was at the DGR ride-out and it was a hot day combined with lots of slow riding due to all the hundreds of bikes taking part in the ride.
Yesterday was a similar hot day. The tar was wet and sticky on the road. The air was uncharacteristically warm for the UK. I set off on my ride in a relaxed kind of way with the occasional 'whoosh' here and there, but after about 15 minutes I encountered some stationery traffic going through a small village and I could really start to feel the heat coming from the engine. The traffic wasn't at a standstill for long and I got moving again I then began to notice the screen starting to flicker and get what looks like black lines running randomly across it. It goes on for about 30 seconds and then the screen went black. Same as last time.
The bike is running fine. The warning lights such as turn signal lights are working, but no LCD display, so no speedo/milometer or fuel gauge etc... which is a REAL pain. The police are keen here at the weekend and gas stations are few and far between in the hills round here.
I get to my lunch stop after another 40 minutes of riding and the screen is still dead. I leave the bike parked up for about an hour and it's in the shade.
I go to start her up and the screen is working fine, so I make a note of my fuel and I set off......all good again until about an hour into the ride and i'm riding slow through a village followed by a set of traffic lights and once more, I can start to feel the heat bleeding out on to my legs from the engine......then the screen dies on me again.

So.... It's got to be due to heat build up, but where is the weak link in the system?
Do the idiot lights at the sides of the LCD display have their own power supply or are they on the same circuit board as the LCD display?
The heat is much more apparent under the gas tank and out to the sides rather than where the display unit, so that's making me wonder if the problem component is not the display unit but the wiring loom under the tank??

Any thoughts?.

Last edited:
Back